Odd, fun and cool coin comparison

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, May 21, 2003.

1. I was sitting here, flicking some of my change about because I was having difficulty with an essay.

I have a US quarter*, and a UK 10p, both about the same size (the quarter is a wee bit smaller) and both silver.

Flicking them into the air...... the quarter gives a lower pitched "ding" than the 10p.

The quarter is smaller, and lighter than the 10p.....

I dunno, I thought it was pretty cool and odd, so I thought I'd share.

*The shops have been giving me dodgy change again. Got a Euro 5 cent instead of a penny not long ago too.
  2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Quarters are made by sandwiching copper between two pieces of nickel (or so the history channel told me last week). The density is most likely different between the two coins.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's awesome. I remember How jaco described how he figured out all the harmonics; he heard some cat tuning and it sounded like music to him so he explored it.

Isn't a Euro 5 cent worth MORE than a penny :D
  4. The only cool coin I have is a dime that we mis-struck, so FDR looks like a neaderthal, with a big jaw.:D

Ooo, and an 1825 French quarter. Grandpa brought that back from the war. In very good condition. Not worth much, though.:(

Rock on
  5. Euro 5 cent is worth about 3p. :meh:

It's tempting to get loads of different coins, flick them to see what pitch they make, and see if I can make music out of it.

Maybe next time I'm really really bored.
  6. I have a Canadian quarter here...we could start a club!
  7. Flip it up, see what noise it makes!