1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Odd gig request

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by bassteban, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Not sure this is genuinely humorous, but I'm pretty twisted: An old aquaintance(Jr high/HS, 30 yrs ago)asked via FB if I knew anyone who could provide *40's/50's style music* for her grandmother's funeral reception tomorrow. :meh:
    I'll convert this to a gig SPAM thread if I get something together. :)

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    A gig's a gig. I once played a funeral service with a dixieland band.

3. I did *Amazing Grace* on fretless, solo for my mother-in-law's memorial. I was deeply honored. Don't get me wrong, I will exhibit complete and total decorum should this happen, I just found it somewhat random. I'd love to be able to say I nailed it, both as a challenge to me as a musician and to provide a friend w/some sort of comfort at such a time.

4. That's kinda cool actually.

I have a wedding gig tomorrow. With a blues band.............?

5. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    That seems appropriate.

6. Absolutely. BTW, the funeral thing fell through.
    Hmm.. call me wrong, but I just imagined someone responding w/a link to the scene in *The Holy Grail* w/the *bring out your dead* guy.

'I'm not dead yet'

"You're not fooling anyone"

TO BE CLEAR- I couldn't get a band up quickly enough- the funeral is still happening.

If anyone is offended, please feel free to make tasteless remarks upon my passing. I won't care. :)

7. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I've played two "Life Celebration"(funeral) parties already this summer and there wasn't a sad face at either one. Everybody had a great time reminiscing and letting the music take them back..When I die,it's already been decided that my loved ones will sell all my earthly treasures and throw one helluva party!!

8. I always liked the idea of the old-school, stereotypical *Irish*-style wake, w/lots of drinking, a smidgen of brawling and very little weeping. That could make for a fun gig.

9. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I just LMFAO'd at this because of something that happened at work today...I work at a big hotel,and one of the new housekeepers overloaded a linen bin and then couldn't push it. She ask me for help,so I'm pushing the bin down the hallway and said "Dead! Bring out yer dead!" just as some reeeally old guy opened his door and offered me his wife. I said "But she's not dead yet" He replied "Could've fooled me..she hasn't so much as wiggled in over 30yrs!" That guy made my day! :D

10. funkingroovin

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I'm 1/4 Irish,1/4 German,and 1/2 Polish...I think I was bred to drink and fight :D

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Can I request Iodine in my coffee? Maybe murderin blues? I'm in a Johnny Winter kinda mood.......

5StringBlues likes this.
  12. You could have a fine donniebrook all by yourself. :)

13. I've been working with an Irish folk group for about a year and I know it's only a matter of time before we do a legit wake...