Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Odd Gk question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevinlee, Jul 7, 2005.

1. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Is it ok to run a gk amp (400Rb) in a vertical position? Such as standing on it's end. I won't go into why I would do this, I just want to know if it will still cool and run without any problems in this manner.

Thanks
    Kevinlee

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno about GK, but I run my PLX amps on edge often, with no adverse effects. It does, however polarize the sound into the vertical plane rather than horizontal.

3. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    It does, however polarize the sound into the vertical plane rather than horizontal.

You lost me here.

And this has what if any effect on what?

Kevinlee

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Munji, where do you come up with this stuff? :D

I run my 1001RB head vertically sometimes, and it works perfectly fine. Just be sure not to knock it over. It is not that stable vertically.

5. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

May 15, 2001
    Phx, AZ..USA
    Thanks..I guess the main concern was the cooling factor. The 400Rb have that heat sink fin type cooling thing on the back as opposed to a fan, so I guess I was sort of pondering if it would still cool properly.

Kevinlee

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've used my '87 400RB quite a bit both horizontally and vertically with no problem. Even playing loudly into a 4 ohm load the amp is fine on its side. Just make sure there's air space around the amp so the heat sink can do its work.