1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

odd glue/clamp situation...opinions?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stevetx19, Oct 9, 2009.

1. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    Hey guys,

I'm trying out a few new things with a neck build but i'm not sure how to proceed with the glue up. Here is what i have:

5 piece neck, Ash/carbon fiber/wenge/carbon fiber/ash
    the carbon fiber pieces are 36"x1"x.0625"

Because the carbon fiber is not wood, i don't want to use my normal titebond. Instead, i bought some system 3 t88 epoxy to glue it up. After some research, i learned that clamping epoxy can be tricky, and that over clamping hurts the joint. At the same time, i don't want to under clamp my neck lams....

i've also thought about using the titebond pu instead. What would you do?

thanks

2. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I would epoxy and not over-clamp. Look for when the joint closes and stop clamping

3. DSB1

DSB1

Mar 8, 2006
    Over-clamping anything can drastically weaken a joint, no matter what kind of adhesive is used. Do your homework, experiment on scraps and do a few dry runs.

4. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    thanks for the input; i might give it a try tomorrow evening. I have a significant investment in my clamps and clamping jig, and have not had trouble with gluing neck lams. My concern is with the carbon fiber and needing to switch to epoxy. Would you say that the clamping pressure is significantly less with epoxy than you would use for normal wood glue?

5. jworrellbass

jworrellbass Commercial User

May 17, 2009
    Colorado Springs CO
    Owner, builder: jworrellbass
    I was wondering why didn't you use carbon rods or strips in the neck with a truss rod instead?

6. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    there will be a truss rod, and i will probably install normal carbon rods as well. I got a hold of the carbon lams and wanted to try something different. the goal with this neck is to get as stable as possible, without going full carbon. (that is expensive) It's just an experiment for a bass that will have abnormally high tension.

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    If you haven't seen it already, check out what Matt Pulcinella did with CF lams. It's maybe similar to what you're doing. He has some useful info on trying to machine them.

8. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    thanks for that, it's going to take some prep to get this neck shaped and ill poke around his work to see what he did. As for the glue up, it will need to wait; i've been nursing the flu for a few days and i'm going to need to breathe before i mix epoxy...i will keep you updated with at least as much precision as my previous build threads :rolleyes: