1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd Harmonic Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tb4sbp, Dec 30, 2017.

1. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    Last night I was playing a very simple rhythm a D (5th fret A string) to a G (3rd fret E string) each note getting 8 beats staccato around 80 bpm. Whether I was choking the note by lifting off of the fret board or with my plucking hand an odd harmonic sound was emanating.

The bass is a Sire V7 alder/rosewood and I tried it in both active and passive mode.
    Setup is good and intonation is fine. String are the stock strings (XL medium, not at home so I cannot check)

The more I played different rhythms the more I could hear this harmonic over tone.
    Fast passages would barley produce the odd tone of course
    Playing with a pick or slap does not produce the harmonic tone

Any thoughts/advise would be appreciated, thanks

2. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie Gold Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    There are more harmonics than the fifth, seventh and twelfth but I’m sure you know that..... Personally speaking when I hear something that doesn’t seem to fit when I am playing my brain tends to zero in on it to the point that I am creating a monster that doesn’t exist sometimes. But then I can be OCD like that I suppose. There were times that by the end of the set I wanted to burn my gear while all those around me are telling me how awesome I sound!

3. Develop an effective damping technique?

4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

lay off the sauce!

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Make sure strings aren't twisted, i.e. loosen them to full slack and retighten.

6. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Is it the same pitch as if you plucked the strings behind the nut?

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would just replace the string(s) before doing any more troubleshooting. Then proceed.

Pickups too close to string? String twisted?

Don't rickenbackers get a harmonic noise coming from the portion of the string between the fretted note and the headstock? Forget what instrument does more often than others.