1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd learning style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by curbowkid, Aug 18, 2012.

1. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    IM not sure if this is the right forum. Mods feel free to move if need be.

So when I practice bass and I'm learning something hard, I usually get it somewhat down but by no means flawless. So I get frustrated and give up after a couple hours of trying. But then when I pick it up again a day or two later, I seem to just nail it like I always had it down. It's weird.

Anyone else have this?

2. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    You are discovering that the brain continues to work on things, even when it is not directly engaged on that particular task.

This is normal -- at least for those with a brain.

:D

3. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    It's not that though. My dexterity seems to explode each time I go back. I've been playing quite a while but there's always room for improvement and I've been noticing this more and more lately

4. jordak

jordak

Apr 7, 2011
    Queens, NY
    procedural memory. If you can learn to incorporate this into your schedule for learning songs etc...it can save you some frustration and headaches. The brain works in weird ways.

5. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Huh never heard of it. I love it though!

6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    It's "muscle memory" worked on, by your brain, during the time between your practicing/playing. Obviously, you are improving as a player.

7. Ninjabot

Ninjabot

May 22, 2012
    Johnson City TN
    This happens to me quite often. Actually it just happened yesterday when I was at band practice. There is a part of this song that I've been having some trouble on. When it was time to play it I nailed it. I just consider this as an added bonus and hope it keeps happening.

8. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    +1
    Add to that, when you come back to the task after a break, you're working with a clearer mind, more relaxed and your goals may be more defined.
    On this subject, when you find that you are hitting a wall in your practice try playing the music in a very different way. Like very, very slow, or a different style or change the rhythm. Sometime just playing some music that you know well and can play well will clear the air and make the practice task a little easier.
    When you hit a wall, a lot of feelings of self-doubt seem to rear their ugy little heads. Calm them down and get back to work.

9. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I can relate some. Having experienced that sort of thing at times. I think what the others have said accounts for most of it. Your also adding the frustrated at just partly right. So perhaps the right part sticks and a break helps you dump the wrong part for fresh restart to it. When I get in a rut with playing, taking a break from it for a day or two also often helps getting out of the rut for me to.

10. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    My practice schedule is weird. I go without playing almost all day, then I play almost all night from 8-2am. So it's like that study before you sleep school study tactic. I guess you are right. The right part stays and the wrong goes.

11. mrbell321

mrbell321

Mar 26, 2012
    N. Colorado
    Almost everything I do works this way.
    1) Work on it
    2) Suck at it
    3) Put it away for a while
    4) Try again
    5) Rock it.

Of course, this hasn't actually worked at playing the bass yet. I'm still stuck on #2(which, coincidentally is another term for what I sound like)

12. Yeah I know the feeling. When ever I had to learn to play something for an ensemble at school I would take it home and work on it and tell myself, "crap, I'm never going to have this down for tomorrow rehearsal." Then somehow the next day at rehearsal it was like I had been playing the piece for my entire life.

As people have said, I guess its better to work on something, put it to the side after a while, and then go back to it later. Becoming frustrated with something is never good. And by working on other things it keeps your mind and your hands stimulated.

13. FrednBass

FrednBass

Feb 24, 2012
    Happens quite often

14. wrench45us

wrench45us

Aug 26, 2011
    +100 to the play it very slow -- as slow as necessary to play it clean

This varies for me dramataically from practice to practice, so I don't have these great leaps forward.

The method described would seem to say you can butcher some passage as long as you can run it through, come back the next night and little shoemaker elves have cleaned up the brain and muscle memory routings. I wish.

15. najko

najko

Aug 7, 2012
    That is why I try to play several new songs very slow and just three or four times. If you aren't nailing it, you're likely not to do so until a couple days have passed. Be patient, know how to exploit this brain "glitch" and profit from it. If you don't seem to get the desired result, be patient or just pack the song for when you get more skill.

16. patplaysbass

patplaysbass Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 7, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Soon-to-be-ex Musician's Friend/Guitar Center Employee
    +1. I often find that when I can't play something, more often than not it's because I get frustrated and not because I don't have the technical ability. Letting it sit for a while then coming back with a clear head helps a ton.