Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Odd Lookin Squire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daveze, Feb 11, 2004.

1. I was cruising through a few pawn shops the other day, and I saw an old Squier P bass. Now I've seen my share of Squiers, and haven't been horribly impressed (I've already got a cheapy starter bass) but this one was different. It has 'SQUIER' written in a harsh pointed font (white writting on black back, then with 'Fender' a lot smaller further up. It was a pretty solid looking black bridge, though I'm guessing not stock.

I'm wondering about this bass cause I've heard heaps of stories about people finding bargain basses at second-hand stores, and some of the older squiers are actually not so bad basses. So I'm thinking I may have something special here, cause its priced pretty cheap and I doubt the guy knows didly about basses, so I could talk him down even further (already done $15 off a $100 car amp, nice discount methinks).

Can anyone give me any more info on this thing, or point me towards info I can get easily without triggering him onto it.

Josh D

2. I would think the serial number would be a good check, but you'd need to know the origin of the bass, like MIJ or MIK or whatever. I got a Squire Silver Series P-Bass, its serial number is P011150, which indicates 93-94 and mine was MIJ.

I've never heard of it with harsh pointed font for the decals on the headstock. But as I say, try and get hold of a serial number and look where it was made.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Some of the old MIJ squiers are fetching decent money, japan quality of the era was rival to a lot of the US built ones.

4. I know, I have a mate that has a MIJ Squire Strat and its semi-valuablish. Thats why I'm keen to find out.

I'll see if I can get ahold of the serial number on it. Update sometime tommorrow arvo.

Josh D

5. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    :rolleyes: Squier. Ends in er, like Fender. :rolleyes:

6. Yeah, I thought this was a thread about Chris SQUIRE's stage clothing. :D

7. Hmm, true. That'd be my bad. I'll fix it, well some of it, someone else may need to change the top title.

I didn't go in and check it out, too stuffed after work, so I just went home, maybe tommorrow.

Josh D

8. If you do find it to be MIJ, then it all depends on the serial number. The ones with the "JV" (I think these are early 80's Squires) prefix seems very popular here in the UK, and on Ebay fetch a good £300 easily. Mine is a Silver Series, serial number P01150, which dates it 93-94. I paid £235 including postage for mine, and it's in pretty good condition, couple of scratches but nothing mad.

Of course, if the guy in the shop don't know too much, you could try and cheat it out of him: "Hmm....this serial number means it was made in Korea, not too good, give ya $100 for it?" :D

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    What does it sound like? It may or may not have a pedigree and it may or may not have been doctored since it was first made, but what does it feel like in your hands and sound like to your ears?

Wulf

10. I'm not particularly interested in buying it as a playing bass, I already have two basses that are probably on par with it. I know I may sound like a git but if its worthless I don't really want it, the next real playing bass I'll get will be a higher end instrument (gonna put in an order for the parts for a bass I'm making soon). I want the bass cause if its actually one of the MIJ Squiers it could proably fetch more than its tagged at now ($245AU if I recall correctly, or maybe 450odd, one of those two I think, too many pawn stores), so I could turn a profit. Or I have a friend thats seriously interested in taking up the bass (currently borrowing the church bass), so it could make a solid beginner bass.

Josh D

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Sound and feel are still going to be the top factors for selecting a bass for your friend - if it's a keeper then it might be just what he needs. I can't comment on buying it to sell at a profit - not a field I've trodden at all.

Wulf

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ha - what a quote!! Sounds like he is trying very hard to sell it to you!! But then - it would be quite appropriate if someone who is trying to buy and sell only for profit, gets ripped off in the same way!! ;)

"Those who live by the sword, die by the sword...... :D

13. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    I own an '83 Squier Precision and it's a beaut! The neck is the best P-neck I've ever played and has very smooth action.
    Anywayz, what I'm trying to say is: check the serial number, if it starts with JV, buy it, you won't regret.

Oh yeah, I changed pickup and electronics in mine, making it even more sweeter :hyper:

14. Bruce Lindfield

So - you're basically asking us to help you rip off a friend? Great!! :meh:

If I had a "friend" who was intersted in starting out, I'd be saying to him - get that bass it's cheap in the pawnshop, I'll come along and help you knock the price down and check that it's OK.

To rip off a newbie is beneath contempt IMO - and I wouldn't even think of doing this to my worst enemy !!! :mad:

I think it woudl be "poetic justice" if nobody helps you with this and that your other guitarist "friend" sells you his Squier Strat for twice what it's worth!!

I don't know you - so no disrespect, but this sounds like despicable behaviour to me and if you follow it through , I think you should be ashamed!

[PS - this is nothing personal - I would say the same to anybody who suggested the same thing!]

15. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    He said "Or" not "And." Turning a profit on a pawn shop bass is not the same as ripping people off. To rip them off, he would have to lie about the value of the bass.

16. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Did Josh say that he was planning on buying it and selling at a profit to his beginner friend? I assumed that the option was to turn his friend onto a good deal. That's what I'd do if it was a decent bass at a good price...

I just can't get my head around the profiteering approach. Note, never hire me for a sales team - I'm definitely not the kind of person who would fit in that kind of job! :D

Wulf

17. Bruce Lindfield

Well I was asking the question and I did say "if he followed" this course of action, then I thought he ought to be ashamed. But basically he is going to be making money out of whoever he sells it on to....and he said he wasn't interested in having it to play. So - basically he is just looking for "money for nothing" ..:meh:

If he was "adding value" - like refurbishing it - then fine, he should be recompensed for that - but just charging a lot more than he paid, is not on , for me and I'm the same as wulf - I couldn't do this with a clear conscience!!

18. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Do you think he's also hoping to get his chicks for free?

:D

Wulf

19. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    It's not "money for nothing." He is locating it and bringing it to another market, and that's a service that called "retail." This is how most sales to consumers work. Are retailers ripping off customers when they buy at wholesale and sell at retail? What about antiques dealers? Are they supposed to just buy stuff at estate sales and then sell it for exactly what they paid to avoid "ripping off" collectors? I guess you buy everything new and direct from the manufacturer.

20. Bruce Lindfield

That's very different - so retailers have overheads - they have to pay for their premises (shops/warehouses)and staff, as well as taxes like VAT. Their costs are reasonable and documented.

If a retailer bought basses up cheaply and sold them for twice the price, then I would be annoyed and would consider they were ripping me off and wouldn't buy there on principle! :mad:

Good retailers, I have known and dealt with, have been completely "transparent" about how they priced used basses they had bought - so they documented exactly what they paid and the extras they added on, taxes etc.

Antique dealers are almost invariably crooks and I wouldn't ever do business with them - my cousin did this in Brighton - made huge amounts of money and was hated by all the family!! :meh: