Odd Medical Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Steve Holroyd, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Here's something for you...

If I think of a bass line, I get a rumbling sensation in my right ear. I'm not exaggerating--if I just think of a bass line, it happens. No music on...no instrument in my hand...the mere thought does it.

Anyone else get this sensation? It's pretty odd.

2. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I sometimes find my fingers twitching, like I'm fretting, while listening to/thinking of music; I see no reason why what you describe couldn't happen. The mind can do weird and wonderful things.

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Is it a good rumble or a bad rumble? I like to use my mind to really put myself inside the music that I hear in my head.

4. It’s not painful or anything, but I wouldn’t call it “good,” like I’m hearing what I would be playing. It’s like a flutter feeling.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nope, that doesn't happen to me. It would probably drive me crazy if it did.

6. Es-La-Una

Es-La-Una

Oct 27, 2016
    Something psychosomatic? Tinnitus? Ear infection? Eustachian tube problem?

See a physician. He might refer you to a ENT (ear nose and throat) doctor also called a otolaryngologist.

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    While I am a graduate of a prestigious community college, I don’t feel qualified to respond.

8. KenB

KenB

Jul 15, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    Does it happen if you either clench your jaw, or if you perform the "pressure change" maneuver, like you're trying to equalize the pressure in your ears?

Maybe you're unconsciously doing one of these things when you think about playing.

Both of these actions will SLIGHTLY shift the position of your eardrum.
    It's possible you have some wax in the "deep end" of your ear canal. If the eardrum shifts a bit, it could cause the wax (or maybe a bit of water trapped in there by the wax) to actually touch the eardrum, causing a fluttery sensation.

Have a doc or nurse take a look in your ear...

KenB (MD)

Steve Holroyd likes this.
  9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I think you need an exorcist, not a doctor.

Spidey2112 and Element Zero like this.
  10. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Fresno California
    875F413C-B60B-4550-8E16-50A33231BA58.gif

Spidey2112 likes this.
  11. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    As long as you always wear ear plugs you will be fine.

12. rickster4003

rickster4003

Feb 15, 2013
    Never heard of that, but I do salivate profusely when I see pictures of Alembics and Foderas.

13. So your ears actually do produce sound in response to stimuli.

It’s crazy, but then again so is the body.

You could also be experiencing the auditory version of an optical illusion or mirage.

14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ditto... usually happens when the hummingbirds visit the red geraniums, on our deck.

15. But this is when I’m NOT playing…and only when I’m “hearing” (in other words, imagining) a bass line in my head

Sound advice otherwise, of course…

16. i don’t clench my jaw, but—based on your post—started opening my mouth a bit when the feeling comes on and it mostly goes away. Thanks!

Zooberwerx likes this.
  17. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    I realize your're probably joking, but .... in case not, if it's a real sound originating in the inner ear then ear plugs will make it even more audible.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Not so bizarre as there is a dynamic pressure relationship among the components of the upper airway and adjacent structures. Case in point: when pressurizing the upper airway via CPAP / sleep apnea therapy, I sometimes run across air leaks via a duct at the corner of the eye. More common: when attempting to equalize pressure (airplanes / elevators / tunnels), people will frequently manipulate the mouth and lower jaw.

Riis

19. wiscoaster

wiscoaster

Mar 28, 2021
    Wisconsin
    Google "valsalva maneuver"

Zooberwerx likes this.