Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Odd numbers of strings

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Whammytap, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Well, I'm about done with my first project bass--just a pretty run-of-the-mill five-string. What I was thinking of for my next project, though, is gonna be a little more complicated. I have this idea to make a 10-string bass, with five courses of octaves (B-E-A-D-G). The original idea was to make a 15-string bass with courses of three, but I think the neck would be way too wide for it to be playable.

My problem is finding hardware and stuff. I can find 'indy' bridges for the lower five strings, but ten big indy bridges side-by-side would be way too wide. I don't want to jerry-rig it.

Also, what scale length would everybody reccomend? Hamer's famous 12-strings have a 30" scale (right?), but I know a 35" scale is better for a low B. And if 12-string basses are usually a 30" scale and I go with a longer scale, can I find the octave strings in a long enough length?

Thanks in advance everybody!

Whams :bassist:

2. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I don't think anyone make a bridge for this configuration at this time. Dean is the only company I know of that has a production 10 string, they might sell you one of their bridges? Hamer make 34", and 32" scale lenght 12 string basses also. I am gathering materials for building a 12 string myself. Google 12 string bass, there are two websights that might be helpful to you. ;) Tim

3. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    What about useing a saddle like on a Sandberg thinline five, and ofsetting a bunch of monrail bridges? that way you could put them close together, and still controll intonation. or you could use the saddle and just some thick brass pins to hold the strings. that might be cheaper

the only problem is, you'd have to find a place that sells saddles designed for Bass. that might be difficult

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    accoustic style bridge..........bone and a file.

5. Whammytap

Whammytap

Oct 17, 2004
    Kansas City
    Thanks, guys! I will check out Dean and the Monorail bridges. What scale length would y'all say to go with?