1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd P pickup config.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mitchgilbert, Jan 7, 2012.

1. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    Just having a bit of a look through eBay as I am in the market for a P, when I came across this.
    I'm not sure what to think of it, admittedly I've seen a few more bizarre mods here on TB and I am in no way, shape or form considering buying it. But has anybody else used a similar config to this?

Attached Files:

2. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Uh.....no.

3. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    I just can't make any sense out of it :rollno:

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Logically it makes sense. The pup on the bass side is closer to the neck, should give extra lows. The treble side is closer to the bridge, brighter highs.

That said, it probably doesn't work as well as the modder had hoped.

5. Moe Monsarrat

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Me too. Why? What could it sound like? What mental institution was the maker in when it was made? Is he now free?........Questions.

6. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Now, wait a minute... that's not entirely bizarre. I see what he was going for, I just wonder how it's wired and how it sounds. But it's NOT that far-fetched an experiment.

7. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Obviously someone didn't know what they we doing.

8. Moe Monsarrat

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Experiment is the key word here. Hey.....it could be the next big innovation. I like the idea of more lows, but I would think you'd get more with the E string side pup in the neck position & the treble side down by the bridge for added high end.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I'd speculate this would be an attempt to add "balance" to the strings, more bass to the D/G, more treble to the E/A. I get it.

I just wonder if the middle "normal" set of P pickups are continuously in play, and he just added (or blended in) one or the other of those other coils.

Looks pretty well-done, too. Heck, I'd buy an SX or something and try that once. If it didn't work, I'd just route for the "other" p/up half down by the bridge and get a new pickguard.

10. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    I think that would sound too unbalanced though, your E and A would be super deep and bassy, and your D and G would obviously have a lot more hi mids/treble. To me that what sound like two different basses. Speaking as an engineer hear, can you imagine trying to EQ that?

The only controls on it is two knobs and I think I can see a pickup switch, so if the second pair of splits are still wired as one pickup then you would assume that it would be like a typical three-way switch: inner pair, both, outer pair.

However, if they've been wired as two individual pups then you could assume that if it's a three-way it would be: EA pup + inner pair, inner pair, DG + inner pair. Having the EA pup on and the DG pup off would give you a hotter output for those two strings and vice versa, correct? Now I don't know a lot about wiring, but assuming he's kept one volume and one tone control, there doesn't seem to be anyway to correct that.

That is why I think it's bizarre.

11. hahahah that is amazing.

probably sounds so strange. people will do anything to be "unique"

12. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that's one of the worst mods i've ever seen in one. it looks like a drastic and completely random attempt to ruin a p bass to me, and they succeded.

13. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think it's pretty interesting.... if anyone buys, make sure to post soundclips :D

14. Twospot

Twospot

Jan 1, 2012
    Toms River,NJ
    Please excuse my stupidity, I am new to the bass and don't know much about pickups other than they get the sound out of the jack so it hits the amp or whatever output device you have plugged in.

Why is this such a messed up config?

15. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    It's just not something you normally see, the inner split pair are stock to P-basses, but the outer pair will have very different tonal characteristics to each other. The one on the lower two strings will have a lot more hi-mids and treble due to the pickup being closer to the bridge where more of the upper harmonics occur. The pickup on the higher two strings will have more of a bassy sound due to them being placed closer to the neck, which could result in less definition of the upper register.

16. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    It's not, it just isn't one of the three or four tried and true configurations. Some people are willing to think outside the box, some are not. Some outside the box experiments do something charming, most do not. No way to tell about this one without hearing some sound clips.

It appears to me that one of the pickups is in the normal P configuration so if you could get this bass for a good price and did not like the oddball configuration it is in you could put it back right. A new pickguard would hide the hole for one of the extra pickup pieces, you'd have to be creative with the other one. I don't think the bass has been ruined in other words.

Ken

17. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    I'd say there's three 'true' fender configs: J, split P and single P.
    And then of course there's your PJs and all your Blacktops and what not.

The only thing I can think of to do with the bridge pup would be to just change the cover to one with no exposed pole pieces and claim that it isn't a pickup and merely just a thumb rest.

18. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Get a new pickguard & move the pickup half that's closest to the neck down to where the other half is at the bridge position. Then you would have a "double P" configuration.

I'd fill the route where the neck p/u half was, but that's just me.

Moonshine :bassist:

19. mitchgilbert

mitchgilbert Guest

Oct 5, 2011
    Central Coast, NSW.
    That would be very similar to the Blacktop Jazz, which isn't a half bad idea.

Either way, I think this hunk of scrap sold this morning.