Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

odd part on old fenders???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rhcp17, May 31, 2003.

1. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    ive noticed the little rectangular piece that seems to be on a lot of vintage fenders. Ive seen it before plenty but never really though about it. its kind of placed and inch or two away from the 20th fret of the neck and is kind of slanted, unparrellel to it. i hope someone knows what im talking about be cause i previously tried to attach a picture and the file was too big. But anyway, its only the vintage fenders and ivve noticed it before but never really though of what it is. Its on both the p and jazz basses, it looks like a pickup, but i never see it on the newer ones. Kinda sad ive been playing bass for three yeasr and i cant figure out what this is :meh: but anyway i tried a search in a couple of different places abut wasnt very successful because i had no idea what to call it. So this is probably a dumb question but what is it? if its a pickup what kind is it, and can it be put on the newer models? thanks for anything.

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What you are describing is just a thumb rest. Leo intended the bass to be plucked with the thumb, and put a rest for the other fingers on the far side. A lot of players simply moved it over to the close side, to make it more of a "thumb rest". Check the picture.

[​IMG]

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you are talking about one of these, it is a finger rest, so you can play with your thumb. Later on they were moved to the top to rest your thumb so you could play with your fingers.
    [​IMG]

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
  5. rhcp17

rhcp17

Oct 1, 2001
    pennsylvania usa
    ohhh ok, i gotcha. Yeah i wouldnt have thought it to be a thumb rest since its on the other side of the strings. But i get what your saying now.It was driving me crazy, i can finally sleep at night. thanks a lot.

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That might be some kind of record... same time, even the same bass (except for the block inlays).

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    What was the most common way to place your fingers on it ya think? I always figured youd place your fingers under so you would kind of pull your thumb toward your other fingers, like to pinch your thumb and forfingers together? Or, would you place them on the uppermost side and rest them on top?