1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd payment forms

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Jan 23, 2012.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Just ran across an ad looking for a band to play the opening banquet of some conference in June, and offering payment in the form of food and psychology books (which the ad helpfully informs us we could sell... yeah right...)

Psychology books? Have you ever heard of a gig that paid in something even more absurd?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds like the regular job market over here. Companies post jobs with fairly high standards (4-year degree in the field, some number of years of experience), and then say the "compensation" you'll get is the chance to build your portfolio, and possibly put the work experience toward college credit, plus the job will look good on your resume.

3. iampoor1

iampoor1

Nov 19, 2011
    Link to original ad? or PM it? I must see this :D

4. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
  5. iampoor1

iampoor1

Nov 19, 2011
    It makes sense, altho, im confused, are they only giving you one book? >_<

They must be really desperate :p

6. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    It says "new books" so apparently you won't have to split one book among all your bandmates.

7. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Actually, a good book in psychology to a musician, would be worth even more than a good book on music theory.

8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    I think Nev is on to something here.

9. No gig pay but I once worked at a bicycle store and the owner traded a quality bike for $1200 worth of gift certificates from a mexican restaurant. After work beer & nachos for a year or more.

10. Bill G.

Bill G.

Dec 2, 2005
    Baton Rouge
    I once worked a few hours at a music shop once or twice. I got paid in guitar strings. :D

11. You should've held out for bass strings!

12. I got paid after a gig once with change from the video game machines - $185.00 in quarters.

13. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies!

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    After I played a gig, the owner informed me that he couldn't pay me in cash, but would "pay me with more gigs". Yeah...no.

14. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    We had a bar owner tell us he wouldn't pay us cash,but would give us all the pizza/beer we could put down,and let us visit his roof-top uhh..greenhouse..during set breaks. I think he had just returned from said greenhouse before making his proposition..

15. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Maybe they want to "psych" the bands into thinking they got paid well and this is a great deal.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    If someone tried to offer this to me instead of cash, I would run up an order to the tune of about $500.

17. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I had a guy who ran a local motorcycle rally offer me free beer and T-Shirts to which I replied that I don't drink beer and I can't pay my electric and other bills with T-Shirts.

18. Sneakypete

Sneakypete

Jul 22, 2009
    Ba ha ha - heard this one myself! Strangely, at the time it seemed to make sense but I was young and stupid then as opposed to being old and stupid now.

19. skychief

skychief

Apr 27, 2011
    South Bay
    Y'all should have your heads examined of you take that offer.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Maybe theyre really into psychology, and they need the books so that they can examine their heads themselves.