1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

odd pup combos that work?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by eots, Aug 20, 2005.

1. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I was wondering if anyone happened across a pup combination of different brands that sounded great together. I'm reffering to j/j, p/j, or other 2 pup variations. I've been doing some experimenting but nothing I like yet.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've mixed lots of pups just from happen chance from what lands on the doorstep and which bass I feel liking dropping the pup into at the time and what pup's already in it. At the moment I have a bass with a PV T-40 HB bridge and Jim Cairnes single J soap neck. Another with a Barcus Berry HB bridge and Mike Dirnt P "neck."

A myriad of other variables but I haven't ran across any screaming combo's. But I favor a bridge pup and I can't say the mixed combo's have faired any worse than factory matched pairs either. The only standout really was a single active EMG LJ-5 mounted mid position - very versatile single pup choice. More and more I'm favoring use of a single pup.