1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

odd question. european electrical adapters.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by socalpyropunk, Dec 28, 2005.

  1. My band is leaving for tour in europe in a couple months and I need electrical adapters. just wondering it all of europe uses the same plug or if each country has different ones.
  2. Jonki

    Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

    Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    its different yes, and the power is 220v
  3. I know that the plug is different in europe. I'm just asking if all the countries use that same two prong plug or if each country has different ones. I'll be in 10 countries.

  4. TrooperFarva


    Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Countries use different sockets, you'll need more than one adapter

    Heres some knowledge

    Good luck.
  5. great site..thanks.
  6. maurilio

    maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Supporting Member

    May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings
    Hi there,
    to answer you, yes and no. Some plugs, like the one that has only the two connections ( ph and N ) are euro standard. But the one with the three (ph, n, ground ) are different.
    You can buy an adapter, they're cheap, but it works.
    Remember the voltage, 220v!

  7. ya I'm assuming they have 220 to 110 adapters I can buy for the random stuff I bring. We are renting all the gear(SVT classic and 8x10) out there in amsterdam I believe so I assume that it will be set up for 220. I need to find out if the tour bus is setup with 110 or 220, I assume 220.

    and thanks for that site as well. will come in handy.
  8. bmc


    Nov 15, 2003
    If you are bringing electrical devices set up for 110 volt, you'll need more than just a plug adaptor. You'll need a transformer to change the voltage. You can pick them up in hardware stores in Europe. They're a pain the butt, but they do the trick.
  9. Bob Lee (QSC)

    Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    A lot of sound and production companies will rent transformers to you, also. Maybe whoever's promoting your tour or coordinating production can hook you up. You have to get the thing(s) back to the company, but at least you don't have to freight it home.

    You might even consider renting your entire backline to save on the freight, customs, etc.
  10. ya I know. I'll have my laptop, camera charger, cell phone charger and probably a couple other things with me.
  11. we are renting an entire backline, just bringing instruments. We are on tour with Good Riddance sharing a bus and backline gear. I'll have our manager get a hold of the rental company and see if we can get the transformers through them. that'd make it a lot easier.

    merch is also be printed over there to save on freight as well. priced it out and its cheaper just to make everything over there.
  12. Bob Lee (QSC)

    Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

    Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Well, the backline gear should already be 220-240V, then. Your laptop, camera, and phone power supplies/chargers are probably universal voltage. You would need the transformers just for whatever other non-universal or non-switchable stuff you're taking over. If it's just small, low-power stuff, then maybe a tourist-type transformer, which you can get at Fry's or Radio Shack, will do the trick.
  13. fretlessrock

    fretlessrock Supporting Member

    Aug 8, 2002
    Check the specs on your chargers. My laptop (Apple iBook) adapter works on 220 and 120 with just a plug adapter. No converter needed. Same for my camera. Kept all of my gear charged while I was in Germany last year. You might be able to get away with a few plug adapters and keep your gear charged up.
  14. ya thats what I'm hoping. I have the travel battery charger for my camera which has the euro plug built in that just flips out so that'll be nice. the cell and laptop both work on 220 as well so I'll just need the plugs it looks like.
  15. bmc


    Nov 15, 2003

    From my experience these items can use mutliple voltages. All of ours do. Check your chargers (I'm sure you have already)

    Good luck with the tour. What's the band name and will there be any dates in Switzerland or France?
  16. Band name is Chaser. We are main support for Good Riddance.

    02/24/06 Amsterdam, Netherlands
    02/25/06 Schweinfurt, Germany
    02/26/06 Berlin, Germany
    02/27/06 Bielsko, Poland
    02/28/06 Prague, Czech Republic
    03/01/06 Vienna, Austria
    03/02/06 Budapest, Hungary
    03/03/06 Ljubljana, Slovenia
    03/04/06 Pinarella, Italy
    03/05/06 Milan, Italy
    03/06/06 Zurich, Switzerland
    03/07/06 Munich, Germany
    03/08/06 Cologne, Germany
    03/09/06 Antwerp, Belgium
    03/10/06 Lindau, Germany
    03/11/06 Munster, Germany

    venues and more info as it comes in can be found here. http://www.fatwreck.com/tour/single_artist/13