1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

odd question

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by anthowl, Sep 22, 2008.

1. okay, this may seem a stupid thing to ask but i feel i should.
    why would a bassist use a guitar amp head in a studio situation.

i was talking with a bassist from a band i like a lot, signed and professional, and i asked what gear he used for his sound on the recent cd. among the gear was both an Ampeg head and a Mesa Triple Rectifier

and yeah..oddly i've seen a few people using a triple rec head in a bass rig for recording and i don't know why.

so yeah. anybody?

2. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    It sounds good. That's all.

3. why though? what does it do for the sound that a bass amp couldn't?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It is designed for a different type of distortion than most bass amps.

5. typically quite high metal gain you mean? i'm fairly familiar with the recto sound in guitar terms but part of the reason i ask is to my ear there isnt any very overdriven bass..not of the sort that i assume you couldn't get from pushing a tube bass amp.

i've also seen people using it as a main amp (still with bass) on a completely clean setting.

i guess what i'm asking here is whether theres anybody on this site who has some kind of tube guitar head in their bass rig that can tell me what the purpose or benefits are of using it for a non high gain sound?

6. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    No different than guitarist;s who use old Bassman's. Early bass amps were the same as guitar amp minus extras. Bottom line if it sounds good use it.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No, sorry I wasn't more specific, I just didn't know how deep you wanted to get into it. By "distortion" I meant the entire range of coloration or clipping of the signal, including the soft compression and "tone" provided by a "completely clean" setting. Which is not at all "completely clean", being both colored and softly clipped, but not having any obvious buzzy distortion in the "distortion pedal" sense.

IOW the specific tonal coloration and compression response of that amp is subtly different from other amp designs. If all tube amps sounded the same, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

8. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    I have only seen the Mesa Tri used on bass in a bi amp situation to get distortion on the upper end. As for using it as a main bass head??? My only guess would be a guitarist doing a bass gig & hopefully plugging the head into a bass cab.

9. ah alright thanks for that. and yeah, i'm aware that clean sounds on tube amps arent necessarily 'clean' but you got the point and gave a good answer.
    i'm getting that it's not for a very specific reason other than that it can sound quite good and passably give a more interesting upper end sound.

as for Mike;
    yeah, i'm not sure many professionals would tend to use it in that situation, but i once stumbled upon this guys youtube page where we played a his bass 'clean' through both a mesa tri recto amp AND cab.
    it did'nt sound great needless to say :l

personally i think a bass amp with a tube in it would suit me fine :)