Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

odd rattle on a stingray

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by gruffpuppy, Nov 6, 2000.

1. i have an odd high pitched rattle when i play a F on my G, its the only note that does it, if a bend an E up to F it also does it. if i press on the bridge or the string the sound stays. the sound gets through the pickup as well when plugged in
    any ideas

2. LowfreqB

LowfreqB

Nov 10, 2000
    United States
    I'v had my stingray5 for about 2 months now, Just last week I changed my strings for the 1st time. The store had a selection of 1 (lame) It must of been a lower gauge cuz It started to rattle on the fret board. 1st check the neck, is it bowed funny? Is the string gauge larger and therefore the action is now lower then before? Good luck.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It sounds like the string height is too low. Try raising the bridge saddle under the G string. The fact that it's happening that far up the neck suggests a bridge rather than a T rod problem.

Good luck, and let us know what you come up with.

Pkr2

4. just to get back to this problem, and thanks for the replys
    i brought it back to the shop that set it up for me and they couldn't really hear where the noise was coming from, i asked what kind of strings were on it (because they died about a day later) and they said they were peavy 45's.
    haveing bad luck with peavy in the past i went and got a set of ken smith bass burners at guitar center and said bye bye to the noise.
    don't know why but it seems to be gone

5. I had a similar problem on a Stingray before and it wasn't a set up problem it was the string mute vibrating. If you have the problem again you might consider removing the string mute but putting it in a safe place

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If the truss rod is loosened all the way, it may rattle at certain frequencies. Also check for loose screws in the bridge and saddles.