1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd recording setup sounded better than I expected...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by trjh2k2, Mar 3, 2014.

1. trjh2k2

trjh2k2

Jul 19, 2009
    Gatineau, QC
    I'm using a Sansamp RBI into a Crown XLS power amp for my live setup and usually use the Sansamp to record with as well- but I recently had to record a few tracks without my usual bass stuff available.

So what I ended up doing was using my guitar setup instead: a Traynor ycs50h with as clean a sound as I could get, through an h&k 4x12 with a mic in front like I would for guitar.

The trick is that I also wanted to get a direct-ish sound as well as the mic, so I used the effects send and ran it right into the interface I was using-

I don't know what kind of magic was happening, but the signal I got from the effects send from the guitar amp was great.

I'm tempted to use the guitar head as a preamp next time I jam with the band- hook the effects send into the Crown amp instead of using the samsamp and see if it's as good.

This makes me wonder if maybe I'd be better off using a tube guitar pre instead of the sansamp?

Sample:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014