Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Odd right hand technique?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by xolin, Apr 10, 2004.

1. I never really looked at my right hand technique, but i just recently jammed with some buddies and they said "are you playing with your thumb or what?" I had no clue what they were talking about, i mean i use my thumb to mute and for chords (some Iron maiden stuff) and obviously for slapping.
    anyway, i decided to play by a mirror to see what was up, i found that i do have a weird hand position. Most guys playing fingerstyle usually bend their hand back a bit like a chicken wing, i found that my wrist has almost no bend in it. My hand actually comes across the strings at an angle. I play with 1,2,3, and even 4 fingers quite naturally as all of them play well in that position.
    I looked at my playing and it doesnt look like im moving my fingers much at all when i play, even playing all 4 fast. I also found that i do a lot of string skipping by using different fingers, sometimes 1 finger per string (not thumb). THe last thing i just noticed was that all of my fingers are always together (like really close) and so hit the string at the same area (my ring and pinky dont retract ever, this is prob because the first bassist i saw was Steve harris who has floating fingers).
    I have very small finger motions kind of like sheehan (when i saw him use three fingers i was like ?? i do that!) with the tipse of my fingers. I wish either of my PC cams worked (lenses fell out and broke) so i could show...

hmm...lets see...this is a bad view as thats not how i usually play. I was just getting tired during a slow jazz ballad, so thats not at all even the position on the bass i usually play (that close to the bridge). I will try to find something, eventually
    [​IMG]
    (..i know, i know, and thats my GOOD profile side :D )

2. dTune

dTune

Feb 28, 2004
    Finland
    If it works for you, then it's good. Everyone has a unique technique in some way, your's seems to be be the one you were talking about.

I don't think there is the RIGHT technique, only the one that has been noticed to be the easiest.

3. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Exactly, As long as it sounds good, and you're not doing anything that's going to cause hand pains keep doing it.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Sounds pretty similar to John Entwistle's technique, no?

5. Really? I havent actually looked at his technique...