odd sounds from MIM Fender Jazz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SLiGhTLy_STooPiD, Mar 24, 2001.

1. if i have the bass (mim fender jazz) strapped on and i don't touch ANYTHING with my fretting hand and i pluck (or touch) the E string open with my plucking hand, clicking sounds come from the amp. but if i have my fretting hand come in contact with the strings and then pluck the E string open, the clicking doesn't happen. Is this just a bad-pick-up-magnets-thing problem?

i know it's not hitting the frets or the pickups.
  2. bigsammy

Jan 29, 2001
    Moline, IL
    i had the same EXACT problem with my MIM, i sold it, lol. anyways, i have NO idea why it does that but it seemed like it doesnt do it all the time.
    just mess around wit it, hopefully somethin will work for ya
  3. Are you talking about the popping kinda noise? If you are, it doesn't come when the amp is turned off right (what a dumb question..). Anyway, my friend said that it is because of sweat hitting the string. I have no idea if he was being serious or not. Oh well.
  4. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You only mention that it clicks when you touch the E string. It would really be odd if the E string was the only string that affects the problem.

You are describing an ungrounded bridge. Temporarily connect a wire (or any conductor) from the bridge or any string to a good ground and see if the problem disappears. A good ground point for testing is the output jack on the bass. any metal part of the jack that you can touch while the cord is plugged in will be a good ground.

If the prob clears up with the temporary ground connected, remove the bridge and check and clean the wire that is under the bridge. The ground wire isn't mechanically connected to the bridge. The bridge makes a connection with the ground wire by pinching the wire between the bridge and the wooden body of the bass. The wood sometimes becomes dented by the wire and a high resistance connection can be the result. A very small amount of vaseline placed on the wire where it makes contact with the bridge will keep air from reaching the connection which can cause oxidation of the connection.

Hope this helps, Pkr2