Odd speaker excursion?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Sep 22, 2003.

1. One out of my four 10" speakers moves more than the others!?!

It doesn't sound distorted but it starts jumpin' around before the others. Is this an indication of a bad speaker?

It's a new SWR Goliath III.
  2. It could be wired out of phase with the other speakers...check the wiring
  3. Hmm, it could be a variety of things....

That speaker may be a little more compliant than the others for a bunch of reasons. Manufacturer error, different production run, random differences in the building process or material, etc.
    It could have a lower impedance than its mates, therefore grabbing proportionally more power. This could be due to a manufacturer error (wrong driver) or a short in the voice coil that causes it to have a lower impedance.

It's not necessarily a bad speaker, but it might be.... I know that isn't very helpful but it's pretty hard to tell....
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    It's a new cab, so I'd be taking it back to the store to get checked out.
  5. Thanks OneWayPunk!

I checked via the 9V battery test and sure enough, the one speaker is out of phase with the other three!

I'll keep you posted on the results of my fix soon.
  6. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    how does this 9V speaker test work? and what should you see?
  7. Connect a speaker cable to the cab, touch a 9V battery to the 1/4 jack and watch the cones move.

They should all move in the same direction.

Mine don't :meh:
  8. Yup, that'll do it. I'll bet the cab will sound better now, too.
    Occam's razor at work!
  9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Nice to see FMIC isn't compromising QC in their products, like they stated. :rolleyes:

That's like buying a new car, and having one tire mounted backwards.

WTG Fender!
  10. WOW! I can't believe the difference!

I barely touch the volume now and get HUGE sound!

WoooooooHoooooooooo!!!!!:D :bassist:

One speaker caused all that suckitude...
  11. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    so i plug a speaker cable to my cab, then touch a 9v battery to the other end of the speaker cable? is there anything that needs to line up (+/- a certain way?)? please let me know. thanks.
  12. You can connect the 9v batt any way you wish but the speakers will do the opposite ie one way the speakers will push out, if you turn the batt over the speakers will pull in. It won't damage your speakers but just dont hold the 9vbatt on to long or it will drain all its juice pretty quick.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That's because that one speaker moving the opposite way to the others cancelled out the bass of one of the other speakers. Basically you were getting the mids and highs of all 4 speakers but the lows of only 2.