Odd Time

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by PollyBass, May 29, 2002.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Odd Time, anyone know of any sorces to perfect my odd time playing?
  2. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Probably one of the best things you could do is get the Abersold that is all odd time signatures. It's called, surprisingly... Vol. 90 "Odd Times".

Another thing you might want to look into is drum instructional videos... I know that might sound odd, but there are a number of them that are specifically for odd time playing. You could play along with professional drummer boy in the video and you wouldn't be limited to the key signature/changes of any particular song that is in the Abersold.

My $.02.

3. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    my drummer has a metronome on his pc that can be adjusted to click to several odd times

i dont know if theres a metronome that you can buy and practice to... but i bet someone here can point where you can get it
  4. jblake

Aug 30, 2001
    Gray, ME
  5. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Is it a Boss Dr. Beat? I have one of those and it can do odd time signatures. It can also play 8th notes, 16th notes, and 8th note triplets. :) It's good stuff.

edit: oh... I just saw "on his pc"... I'm a complete moron, look at me over here. The Dr. Beat is a fine metronome still....
  6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
  7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    What the hell? *bump*
  8. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I have never really had trouble with odd meters. I find sometimes counting is good for that (i.e. stuff like 7/8, 8/8, 9/16) but just being able to feel things helps with it other times (usually 5/4 or 7/4 for me is like this)

I say count and take things slow whenever there is a doubt in rhythm.