1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Odd Wrist Pain

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by bobbykokinos, Apr 27, 2006.

1. In my 8 years of playing upright, I've have never gotten any pains in my hands.

Last night I was playing a gig and my right hand started killing me.. Its right at the wrist. I tried stretching it out a bit and it didnt help. I eventually had to switch to electric because it was getting pretty bad and I didnt want to make it worse.

The thing that has me worried is I have a 3 hour combo gig and 3 hour big band gig tomorrow night back to back and a 4 our wedding on Saturday. I really should play upright on these gigs..

Any suggestions? Is there anything I can put on it tonight to help loosen it up a bit.

edit: This is all pizz.. no arco

2. Any ideas?

Ive got some IceyHot and a wrist brace on it right now

3. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    For immediate relief (somewhat)...ice helps, drink lots of water, take some ibuprofin. Lighten up your playing in the right hand, if you're amplified, turn up and play higher up on the fingerboard than usual. Stretch out before and after playing, but stop the stretch if it hurts or you feel numbness. Stretching at the point of injury will not make it any better, most likely make it worse.

4. Sometimes, we feel pain in one area as a result of strain or stress in another area. Be conscious of how you hold your head and neck. Also your shoulders.
    Old issues of ISB Journals have a 'Body and Bass" column with posture and stretching suggestions that I've found to be very helpful.
    I'm no expert but once had numbness in my hand and forearm that was caused by neck and back neglect. One trip to the chiropractor diagnosed it and all was well in about a month.

5. Thanks for the advice everyone.. Luckly, the wrist pains have gotten better.. Thanks to the directors of the bands I play in, they are very understanding and let me alternate between electric and DB is the pain is unbearable..

I've been using a wrist brace and its helped out alot. Actually, I find its quite comfortable playing with the brace on.

Hopefully it'll go away totally and it wont be anything serious. Wrist issues have been a huge fear of mine because I spend a decent amount of time behind a computer for work..

6. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I just experienced wrist pains (RH) for the first time this morning when playing with a bigband but not being able to hear myself. I was amped but I didn't raise it too high. I had to play stronger than I ever did in my two months of upright. My RH index and middle fingers also developped small blisters.

I should really raise the volume and lower the effort. I have a bad history of not doing that and then getting pains and blisters even from electric bass.

7. Scott McC

Scott McC

May 13, 2006
    Toronto
    Hey man, when I started college, I got some fierce wrist pain. As mentioned above, it was starting in my shoulder. What really helped me, cured me actually, was acupunture. It was really intense, but after about 4 one hour sessions, my writst was good to go. It is still a bit delicate, but definetly not hurting. Oddly, I have found that the BG is more tiring than the DB, I think it has something to do with the posture. Anyway, you'll be kickin the crap out you DB in no time.
    :)