Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

... odd

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So, I went for my every night stroll last night nothing out of the ordinary. On my way home, out of the corner of my eye see someone on a bike, and their mouth is moving, so I turn off my CD player. He pulls ahead, stops, looks at me and says, "Dan... DAN." Confused I say, "I'm not Dan."

The man on the bike, about 6'1", 230 lbs, 35 years old and reeking of booze. We chat for a while, the whole time he's looking at me weird. Apparently the night before was his birthday, and he had a ****ty birthday, "I got treated like a baby treats a diaper" was his comment on the subject. Obviously of age, I drinking and asked to see his ID. He made some comment of going back to my apartment with a very odd look on his face. Not sure what to think (and I don't drink (hehe rhyme)) I was like, "I don't drink and my girlfriend is sleeping at my apartment." "Oh" he said very sadly.

Later after we chatted some more, he told me he was gay. Duh. But after more chatting, I told him about a gay kid I know and was friends with and he wanted to be more than friends, no dice... I'm unfortunatly for some, straight. I also somehow mentioned I was from Corry. And he was like, "Oh so YOUR the one he's obsessing over."

Oh crap, I haven't talked to this kid in a while, quite a while. I'm friendly to him when I see him because he is really cool, but the 35 year old suggest I make contact with him and tell him that I think it's OK that he's gay and I want to hang out. But I started thinking about this from my POV. What if there was this girl I was obsessed with, and she wouldn't date me, but hung out with me. It would tear me apart. So I don't know if that's a good idea.

To top off the evening, the older guy pulled out his checkbook and wrote me a check for 150 dollars post dated for the 12th (when finacial aid refund checks come out). :confused: I of course rejected it, refusing to tell him my last name. He forced it upon me telling me that I'll some day do someone else a favor like this. And I told him that I hope to do something like this, but I still wasn't going to cash it, but I appreciate it.

The entire evening, he was hugging at me, staring at me weird, holding my hand a lot, complimenting my hair and build and goatee, kissing my hand, and kissing my face. I don't know if he was going for the lips, but I turned my head away. This ocoured at the end of the evening or I would have left right then. :oops:

Strange, huh? What do you think about my friend who's obsessed with me and "Think's I'm the most gorgeous man on earth." And do you think I have a 35 yr old stalker?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

1 Rule :

"Don't take any notice whatsoever of what drunks say!"

3. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    I think that if that was a male and you were female then you'd be banged up for sexual harrassment.

I'd avoid him to be honest and avoid confronting the other guy too, so, I aggree with Bruce. Just my view though...

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :meh:

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Best advice ever.

The thing that's got me scared, I'm not telling my girlfriend this because she's afraid of the whole situation, his conversation seemed rather leading. I mean, for all I know, off of the information I gave him (The exsistance of the guy who has a crush on me, and him having a huge crush/obsession with a guy from Corry, PA (me)) he could have been making up stuff to lead me along/get my email address. He got that so I could make contact with the guy who is obsessed with me, which I still don't know if it's a good or bad idea. He's not crazy though like this guy was.

But then again, this guy was stumbling around so much and so pissed/depressed he probably won't remeber the fact that I exsist.

6. Matt ..you must be sending out some kind of wierd gaydar or something that can be picked up by these types:meh: and plus what Bruce said...

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I KNOW. It's crazy, women don't care for me that much. I mean, I get a few chicks who are flirty with me (much to the dismay of my girlfriend) but I get a lot of gay guys hitting on me. Strange... it must be my pseudo-mullet and the fact that I dated a bi-sexual girl. :confused: Ya got me.

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    why would that make you attractive to gay men ? :confused:

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

... I have no idea. :confused:

edit: But I never had a guy hit on me until after her. :meh:

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    must be the flaming crotch ;)

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Ba dum chiiiiii

:p

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Watch your cornhole bud,

13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    :meh:

14. :meh:

Sorry to hear that?

I would have been freaked out.

Just be glad he didnt hurt you.

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    hmmm....that is pretty odd

stay away from them matt, far far away

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Man you should have stopped the physical contact stuff. I'm thinking he was using you in some way. There was a guy that lives in the town I used to live in who would kind of do similar things to people and end up just preying on their emotions and stuff. He was also a gay guy and he would try and trick you into doing stuff with him. I know because I experienced it firsthand. I had a run-in with him in which he pretended like he needed someone to talk to and said he was suicidal. He ended up asking me to poke him in the ribs and rub his back. I ended it at that point and told him that I'm willing to talk to him but that I wasn't willing to poke anything. I got the whole skinny on him later from numerous other guys that had been used or propositioned by him in some way and one other guy who got into a physcial altercation with him.

I've met other people sorta like him but less extreme since and they all sort of had a similar modus operandi. I'm willing to bet that the guy didn't really think you were Dan. He probably used that as some kind of opener to start talking to you, feel you up and proposition you. Sounds like he did all three. You always play so hard to get, Matt.

Anyway, kissing, hugging and holding hands isn't appropriate behavior from a stranger that just met you. If this guy approaches you again I'd be very cautious...especially if he starts asking for things.

brad cook

edit: Oh yeah..one other notable thing about the guy mentioned above. I once went into the men's restroom at the University I was attending and he was standing at a urinal spanking the monkey. I didn't realize this until I had spent a considerable time er...sitting down in the stall and when I exited he was still standing at the urinal.

17. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't want to get down on you too hard, but this is very weird, You should have avoided all this. You left yourself very vulnerable in a compromising situation. I think you were lucky you weren't sexually assaulted.

'Gaydar' is not perfect. I have always had a hard time spotting gay men until they literally starting hitting on me. Example: When I was younger, I had very long blond hair, kind of curly, and took good care of it.

One day, I'm sitting in a Ground Round restaurant,
    throwing back a few frosty drafts, and yakking it up with the bartender. Basic beer and peanuts place. I'm sitting next to this guy for about an hour shooting the shoot. Suddenly, he reaches over and starts stroking my face and hair and says' I luuuuv your long blond hair.'

I had no idea this guy was gay. I freaked, and yelled, 'You touch me again, moflo, and I'll ram that hand right down your throat.' Upon which he immediately left. So did I, a discreet time later. I'm not much better at spotting gay men now, but now I am much better informed about homosexuality than I was then.

However, this guy propositioned you straight out.
    'Sorry, I'm not gay and not interested' is the response, and keep moving till you get in the safe zone. You told this guy way too much about yourself, and let him way too close into your personal space zone.

I literally won't let people touch me if I don't know them. There was a guy at work who used to do this, whenever he would talk to you he'd get into your face and touch your arm or shoulder. I finally told him, please don't do that, I don't like to be touched. [ Except by my wife, family, and pets, of course. ] It is a good rule to avoid physical contact with strangers. Especially drunken gay strangers out prowling.

So endeth the sermon of the God of Thunder.

Go forth and sin no more ....

PS please be more careful from now on.

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The more I think about it this guy sounds like NAMBLA material (and I'm NOT talking about Marlon Brando lookalikes). 35 year old guy riding around on his bike, approaching younger guys. Trying to give them things and paying them compliments while simultaneously trying to move the conversation somewhere more private.

brad cook

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow...talk about blowing your credibility as far as advice-giving goes.

:spit:

brad cook

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Here is the thing that totally sucks about him being gay, if I would have freaked out and started yelling/kicking ass, I would have been known on campus as captain homophob. I just didn't know what to do, this is a very troubling situation for me... or at least it has become. He's made no contact since last night, which is hopefully a good sign. If this guy turns out to be a stalker and I catch him lurking around. I don't care what kind of names I get called, I will kick the **** out of him. Hopefully if problems arise, I will contact the police, (that's the only reason I have the check, name adress, etc). But if I go to my car sometime and he just jumps up to harass me, or anything like that, I will destroy. My fists will reign down like the fires of... alright whatever, I'd kick his ass. I just hope it doesn't come to that.

p.s. Spare the, "You don't want to do that" jazz, because I know the consequences, but I'm a big boy now. We'll see what happens, hopefully he was so drunk last night he won't remeber anything. Or maybe he's really embarassed due to his actions and doesn't want to come near me. Who knows. If anything further happens, I'll give you guys the what's up.