1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Oddball question about p'up replacement on SRX700 ...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Phlipper, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I love my SRX700. I love the way it feels/plays. I love that it does 438 tuning really well. I love the mid punchy tone for classic rock.

The only thing I don't love is that I can't use it as a backup for my country fill-in work because the tone is so radically different than my other Ibanez. It takes some heavy duty EQ'ing on the amp if I need to pick it up during a set due to nonstandard tunings er sumpn.

I know most SRX players seem to love the Alnico pickups on the 700 series and are advised not to change them out. But is it possible that the ceramic pups from the other SRX series would tame that upper mid bite just a little bit? There are no SRX500s or 690s around to test on to get a feel for the pups. So I thought I'd ask here.

2. Phlipper

Phlipper

Feb 5, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    I owned an SRX390 and SRX2EX back in the mid 2000s and I don't remember them having this huge upper mid bias (ceramic mags), and I used them on a few country tunes with the band. But still wanted to get a more experienced opinion on the switch out. I love evrything about the 700 except the radical EQing required to use it with my country and top 40 bands. Anyone?

3. Ah-Ha, so that is the difference between the SRX2 pickups & the SRX700 :hyper:

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Yep, as far as I recall, all the SRX's except the 700/705 have ceramic pups.

Killed_by_Death likes this.