1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oddly's Adventures: A session report

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Oddly, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    While waiting for my next project to kick in (if it ever does), I googled Jam Sessions in Dublin to see what was happening these days.
    A couple I have attended (and found they weren't for me) popped up, and also one that looked promising.

Located in an upstairs room of a pub about 15 minutes drive from me. Parking available.
    Runs on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings (my two days off).
    A relaxed and supportive environment.
    All levels welcome.

I contacted the organiser and asked if a barely competent electric bass player would be welcome and got an enthusiastic yes.
    Seems they have a guy plays some bass, but much prefers guitar and harmonica.
    They said they might have a bass amp, but I decided to bring along my GK combo just in case.

Anyway, I thought I'd report in on my night.
    It turns out it was more what I'd call a song circle situation.
    About 12-15 people, some with guitars, one with a harmonica, some just singers.
    Ages from maybe 20-70.
    Certainly nobody seemed at absolute beginner level, there were songs from Joni Mitchell, Tom Waits, John Prine, Mary Coughlan, Roy Orbison and many others.
    Several using tablets or songsheets, others playing/singing from memory.

Each person played a song they fancied, others joined in as the mood took them and I took a cue from the original bass guy and played along where I thought I could add some notes in the right place.
    I found it quite a challenge, but really enjoyed it and managed to avoid any glaring mistakes.
    Everyone was very welcoming and friendly and understanding, and there was a real appreciation of everyone else's contributions...which were pretty much all excellent, especially given that almost nobody there had any performing experience outside of this group!

I certainly intend to make this a regular outing, and hope to make more meaningful contributions as I get to know the others a bit better. I may suggest that if they'd like, they could send me whatever songs they are planning on doing, so giving me a better chance of supporting them properly.

I know as a gig report this is a failure...no photos, no food pics...but I wanted to share as it's a good feeling to be back out playing with other people again without any of that band drama nonsense.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    NG51, Need Gigs, SWRnut and 112 others like this.
  2. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    What a great situation you found. Cool people playing for the fun of it. Next best thing to a gigging band. Heck, sometimes better. ;)

Thanks for the happy, uplifting share! :)

3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    These can suck, but can be lot of fun. Good WAY to make some connections, and work on your ability to hear. Maybe your next project will rise out of these ashes. Good luck.

wesonbass, barrenelly, ELG60 and 6 others like this.
  4. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Playing for the pure enjoyment of it can be really rewarding and something we (or least I) probably don't do enough of. There are often strings like money or ego or promoting attached to playing and getting together for no purpose other than making music gets pushed aside.

Sound like you had a good time (you can take pics at the next one and update us :D) which is awesome. Congrats :thumbsup:

5. MynameisMe

MynameisMe Space Ghost and Frankenstein Junior Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2018
    Jax Florida
    Sounds like fun! Enjoy! it will stretch you in terrific ways!

wesonbass, Spidey2112 and Oddly like this.
  6. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    That sounds like a fun get-together, Oddly! Congrats on a good find! :thumbsup:

wesonbass, Spidey2112 and Oddly like this.
  7. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Sure, sounds like a blast! 'Friendly' and 'no pressure' add to the fun units. :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

8. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    AND close to home! Great story! I hope you have many more happy hours with that crew!

9. Open mic/jam sessions are great way to improve your skills and improve your ear. I think it is great that this one is in your back yard. Have at it and enjoy. :thumbsup:

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Curious to know what you mean by this. Do you have something in the works? And if so, what's holding it up? Was just thinking that if the problem is that you're looking for another player to fill out the lineup, this jam might wind up being a good place to find the missing piece.

11. TL23NC

TL23NC

May 22, 2015
    Raleigh NC
    Sounds like something I would enjoy doing. Having fun playing music with a nice group of people. And a great way for you to work on your craft.

Artman, Spidey2112 and Oddly like this.
  12. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
  13. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    That's the power of music to bring together strangers for a shared experience. Hope it leads to good things for you.

14. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Oddly.. you're completely wrong....

A great gig report.

15. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Oddly :)

Bingo! :thumbsup: Have fun!!!

greetings

Wise

Tony In Philly, Artman and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    @Lobster11 , yes I'm waiting for a singer/guitarist to finalise arrangements for some showcase gigs for his album. That'll be him, me and a crazy Lithuanian woman on cajon. :)

17. smokinjoe

smokinjoe

Jul 1, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Sounds like a perfect situation! I haven't had a chance to do that in a very long time...

wesonbass and Oddly like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Spidey2112 and Oddly like this.
  19. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Be careful!!! She could be a drummer! :D

Wise

20. What song did you play?? I like a good harmonica dude or dudtette.
    When @kesslari was visiting here in Austin he jammed with a blues band pickup gig with this guy that was a great on harmonica
    It was great!
    Party on!