1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ode to the G&L L-2500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raman, Jun 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc

I will assume everybody is familiar with this Ed Friedland video, which not only helped people like me who had their eyes on a G&L bass, but is also a reference on video making.
    This video is a surgical comparison between 2 related, very well thought and well executed instrument designs. The G&L L-2500 and the M-2500.

I will categorically opt for the L-2500 in this text, because that’s the one I ended up acquiring. And because I agree with Ed Friedland: «Ideally you’d want both in a perfect world».
    But I happen to now enjoy playing an L-2500. icon_e_smile.

Let’s state this from the start, both instruments come from the same mold and shine in their built. There have been incidents, especially regarding some faulty bridges. But every one of those basses that I’ve held and struck responded beautifully when unplugged. They all vibrated the way you wanted, which is a very good sign for when you will plug in.

That’s precisely when playing an M or a L becomes important.
    Playing my L-2500 (Tribute), I get a fundamental bass as much as I want from the instrument itself. Again, even playing it unplugged feels great. Like having a cat purr on your lap.
    Then you plug it and it’s a raw deal from the start. Both pickups shine in clarity as much as you want or shape them to. So much that it can be too much, especially if you’re on lower-end outputs!
    And your main controls give you again as much power!
    The L-2500 delivers, both in its fundamentals and in its electricity. And you get exactly all the required knobs and switches you need to find the matches between the instrument and you.

I haven’t played an M-2500 nearly enough to comment properly. But its preamp architecture brings me back to the 1980’s basses I played, mostly made in Asia: Ibanez or clones thereof. Nothing negative about them: Most were great little basses! But the G&L M basses give me that with which I've played before.
    The L basses seem much more exciting. And challenging. I sold a very dear bass, an Ibanez Ergodyne, very cool and responsive, capable of getting all the fundamentals. But I couldn’t see myself getting old with it.

Recently, I’ve wondered why there isn’t a blend knob on my L-2500…
    I think I figured it out tonight.
    It’s because the G&L L bass does want to give you a raw deal. It says “I provide the fundamentals, it’s not my EQ circuits which will smooth out your playing: You'll have to figure it out by yourself”