Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Odyssey basses (+ custom made basses in general)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kryo_vryo, Jun 21, 2004.

1. kryo_vryo

kryo_vryo

Jun 11, 2004
    greece
    check out this site: http://www.odysseybass.com and tell your opinions. this is the only greek bass manufacturer I know.

generally speaking of custom made instruments: how safe do you think it is, to pay for a bass you have never touched (or even sometimes heard) before? i mean, most of the custom made basses I have seen in photos etc look great, and judging from the woods, electronics etc used they should be amazing, but can one be sure enough to pay $2000+ for something he has never come in actual touch with?

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'd drop the cash on an Alembic or a Fodera I'd never touched before in a second. Custom instruments are just that -- customized to your needs and wants. If you know your stuff and specificy...well, everything, then there should be no problems.

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Most places have a trial period where if you don't like you can send it back.

IF they don't then your outta luck, just learn to adapt to liking it.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey, if top bassist Yotis plays 'em, you just CAN'T go wrong :D

That's one of the things about buying custom instruments-it's ALWAYS a risky investment. You could play five Roscoes that were perfect, then order your own and it just doesn't have "it." Not to mention the resale value is usually much less than you originally paid. But most people don't live next to Bass Central or the like, so buying without playing is their only option. I've spent over 2k on one bass and over 3k on another sight unseen. You just need to be sure of exactly what you want before you order.

5. kryo_vryo

kryo_vryo

Jun 11, 2004
    greece
    :D indeed

actually this guy (yotis kiourtsoglou his name) is amazing. but that by itself doesn't mean much imo...

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow...I've gotta say, the electronics on those Odyssey basses are really interesting -- especially the fretless circuit. Anyone own one?

7. i like the cyclops the best!

:D

but is it safe you ask? i would have to say yes, because a lot of people on talkbass and everywhere else are getting custom basses that they couldn't play before they recieve the finished bass. Anyways, other than wishbasses, high quality is usually pretty consistent as far as custom basses go.

Charlie