Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

$ of John Myung Signature Yamaha Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Timothy, Aug 2, 2000.

1. Timothy

Timothy

Mar 30, 2000
    How much of the John Myung Yamaha bass??
    its seem a low -price six-strings.
    Thanks for your reply!!!

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out the door, around $1000.. Make sure you play it before you buy it, it may be your cup of tea, but just to let you know, bass is very heavy(heavier than the heaviest Warwicks or Spectors) and the string spacing is very narrow.. people gripe about Ibanez string spacing, I have an SR506 and the string spacing is way narrower on the John Myung than my Ibanez.

OTOH, it is a beautiful bass, and priced right, if you can deal with these issues(I can't, so I didn't buy one)..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The one I played was not worth the $1179 they were asking. It sounded like crap, but maybe it was just because the store sucks and didn't adjust it or maybe it had a bad battery, but it sounded bad.

------------------
    Bad habits are hard to break, especially if you like them.

5. mr2112

mr2112

Mar 31, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rojo412:
    The one I played was not worth the $1179 they were asking. It sounded like crap, but maybe it was just because the store sucks and didn't adjust it or maybe it had a bad battery, but it sounded bad.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

John Myung is such a KILLER bassist, but I also questioned his sound/tone...I thought that it might of been poor production on the albums, but hey, maybe it is the bass itself...I've never played one myself, so I dunno for sure, but maybe rojo412 is right!!!

------------------
    "Everybody got mixed feelings...About the function and the form----
    Everybody got to 'elevate', from the norm." ----N.Peart

---Later, MR

6. JHMAVRO

JHMAVRO

May 29, 2000
    hooksett NH USA
    Retro Music in Keene NH has one for $650. Im pretty sure it is new.

7. Thewiz

Thewiz

Aug 23, 2000
    Very appropriate line from Vital Signs, 2112!

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    every john myung that i've played, 4 to be exact, 2 in stores and 2 at various namm shows, sounded and played horribly.

there are many other alternatives out there that would perform better for the same price. imo.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Agreed, very unimpressive. I'd get the standard TRB long before I'd even consider the Myung. And I'd get a Peavey Cirrus before that :D.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'd buy a Cirrus long before I'd buy another TRB6, though I did love the playability.

11. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, cirrus's are comparably priced, no? and then of course there are the conklin gt-7's, which can be had from bassnw.com for less than a grand. (you saw that coming, didn't you :D )

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    If I had $1200 to spend on a bass, I'd get the GT-7 and use the other $200 to upgrade the preamp to a 3 band and buy extra strings. It's quite a nice bass and it has 7 strings! You can't go wrong with it. The Myung is just a piece of garbage. The TRB is nice, but much more expensive.

13. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    there ya go, rojo, a man after my own heart. btw, the preamp in the gt7 is a bart pre - i know they call it the "mighty-mite" but bartolini designed it specifically for this bass. if you wanted a 3 band you could keep the one that's in there, which is a perfectly fine preamp, imo, and just buy a sweepable mid pre - bart makes those, and you could add it in. that way you could have control over what midrange freqs you were affecting.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Of course. JT, how do you expect me to get my check from Hartley if you negate each of my "ads" with info about the GT-7?:D

*babyneedsnewshoes*