Of Stephen King and Pointless Threads

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BarnacleBassist, Oct 1, 2002.

1. Is it only me or does everyone else realize the resemblance to Stephen King's "The Stand" and pointless threads?

The mods are the peopl who are not seriously affected by it, and try to get rid of the plague. The threads are like the super-flu, which is slowly wiping out the thread population, and no matter what you try to do, the thread will never stop...

Odd eh?
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Pointless threads... like this one?
  3. I haven't read "The Stand" yet, but your analogy definatly seems interesting. Speaking of King, I just finished "Misery" this past sunday. I thought it was pretty darn good. "The Shining" is still a very excellent book (and i've never seen the movie).
  4. Dreamcatcher is his best novel... misery was the first one i'd ever read, and i got hooked ever since...
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    How appropos... I'm on a King kick as we speak... Re-reading my favorites over the past few weeks...

'Salems Lot
    The Shining
    The Dead Zone

Currently, I'm on page 723 of The Stand... Harold's starting to snap!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's one of the very few movies in the world that I actually liked a bit better than the book. Go see it!

edit: I mean go rent it!
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Ya know, I started reading The Stand and thought it sucked big time. The Shining was much better, IMO.
  8. lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    BarnacleBassist, Jacob's Ladder is a great movie. One of my top 5.
  9. Shawshank Redemption.

A masterpiece.

Mike J.
  10. What about the irony of starting a pointless thread to describe the futility of resisting pointless threads.

Sort of like plugging in your own electric chair.........or perhaps things are going exactly according to plan and everything is slowly falling into place for your nefarious scheme to revea itself......

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption"
    One of the best damn tales EVER written!
  12. loved the book the stand and loved the movie just as much. i like reading his books. you have to read i think the name is Desparado. it is awesome. :cool:
  13. I love Steven King!! I've read all his books and have just started on his new one, 'From A Buick 8'
    My faves are:

The Shining
    Pet Sematary
    The Stand
    Everythings Eventual
    The Green Mile
    Delores Claiborne
  14. Desperation?

and yeah my plan is in fact inaction... hehehe *maniacally smiles*
  15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My fave Stephen King releases are (in no particular order):

Stand By Me
    Pet Semetary
    The Green Mile

I think he's losing his edge though. I read that From A Buick 8 was to be his last novel.
  16. The Dark Tower series is great. I hope he gets around to finishing it some day. I heard that he was going to work on getting it all finished in the next few years.