Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Of the effects you own....which do you actually gig with?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Corwin81, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got several pedals(well, not compared to many pedalboards I've seen, but the most I've ever had), and after realizing what works and doesn't with my band, I think I'm only gonna be using my tuner, EQ phaser, and chorus for gigs. Muff/Wah will stay at home or in the studio for some underlying effects mixed in with the clean bass tone. And for when I'm in a Metallica mood.

What pedals do you own and actually use(if not all)?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I take it all with me, last gig I played I used every pedal in the set. Not hard when it's only a Big Muff, Wah and Volume. Since then I've squeezed a BOSS BF-2 between the Muff and the Wah and I find I'm using that more than everything else.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Behringer Compressor

Boss OC-2 Octaver

Boss BF-2 Flanger

Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus

BBE Sonic Maximizer

4. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    boss oc-2 octaver
    boss bass chrous
    shin-ei fuzz wah
    boss ph-3 phaser
    EHX holy grail reverb
    Ibanez SB-7 synth pedal
    guytone tube driver
    dbx 163x compressor
    boss dsd-2 delay
    dod fx-25 EV filter
    ampeg analouge delay
    sansamp RBI preamp
    and untill recently my dod delay sampler, :( god rest his sole in fx heavin... :bawl:

Alex

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Ditto. My answer is "none". Over the years I've become a minimalist. Took me a long time to get here but it's a nice place to be.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm not sure if this is considered an effect or a preamp. But I use a Sansamp Bass Driver DI at gigs and practice. I use a zoom bfx 708 at home, big muff, boss phaser. I also have a trem that I hardly ever use.

7. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I gig with 'em all, except the ones that suck. Or need repair.

8. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    I generally gig with 2 distortions (one to add grit under guitar solos, the other for bass solos), and depending on what I'm doing, an envelope filter or phaser. It changes all the time - just now it's:

Russian black Big Muff (fat distortion)
    Tech21 XXL (hot distortion)
    EBS Bass IQ (envelope filter)

Sometimes I use my Fulltone Bass Drive instead of the 2 distortions, and I've got a couple of other distortions I don't use as much - US Big Muff and a Guyatone valve-based one I know nothing about but like a lot. If I'm doing my experimental electronica thing, the eBow, Small Stone and delay get used, and the drum machine operator uses my FX25 and whatever distortion I can spare!

I used to gig with a Q-Tron, but it was too noisy and temperamental - possibly because I don't have the right psu for it.

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Generally, I have:

Boss TU-2 Tuner
    EBS MultiComp
    A/B Loooper
    Loop A - Digitech Bass Synth Wah
    Loop A - Fulltone BassDrive
    Loop B - Fuzz
    Loop B - E/V filter
    Clone Chorus
    MXR M-80 - I use it for the two channel EQ effect (great for finger/slap changes)

The Fuzz is kind of undecided at the moment, I've tried a bunch - most recently using a Black Cat Octave Fuzz. I'm trying out the depth charge and voodoo bass at the moment.

E/V filter - has usually been a bass IQ. I need to reorganise my pedalboard to get Mutron on there.

10. I own loads, but I only really use;

Tech 21 Bass Compactor
    Boss ODB-3
    DOD delay
    DOD chorus

There's a Snarling Dogs distortion sometimes sneaking in there too, but for some reason it sounds ace one day and crap the next.

As soon as I get a Boss TU2, it's going to be in there, and a better delay to replace the DOD. And a better chorus too.

11. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    So far only the SA Driver and Keeley Comp.
    But the G5 will def. be part of the my rig from now on. I mean, some of the new songs we're composing at this moment are based on that sound.