Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Of the two, which bass would you reccommend?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ambolina, Apr 7, 2004.

1. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    First - hi. I'm new and have enjoyed reading the threads over the weeks.I know someone else asked a similar question, but he had too many options, plus I need a little advice. It's time to upgrade from the bass I learned on and it's between these two:

96 Fender American Deluxe P Bass
    96 Rickenbacker 4003

I've played the Fender in a store and loved it. But I love how the Rickenbacker looks and it has that certain cool/enigma factor. Sadly, no one around here sells them, so I can't go play one and I've read a lot of comments about it not being versitile. Although I've read just as many by die-hard enthusists who love their Rics.

Here is were I'd like some feedback. Given that one of my bands plays very Pixies-influenced tunes and my other band does the moody-britrock thing (Jesus & Mary Chain but heavier on the rock), do you think one of these would be better over the other?

They're both being sold for roughly the same price, so that's not a factor. Thanks in advance for your input!

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Haven't heard of your music but probably can't go wrong with either both are rock staples. Listen to Ric recording and decide if you want that tone, if not you can't go wrong with the P tone.

How do you know a place that sells a 96 Ric and are not able to play it?

3. the p is probably more versitile... if you play a number of styles id go with that, im not a big fender fan but while the ric is cool, its kind of a 1 trick pony compared to the p

4. i can get you a american deluxe p-bass for 1099 new. pm me if interested.

5. errrrrrr its not a 96

6. umm....and its got a maple fretboard....some ppl have problems with them so im just telling you...

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    For my tastes, and for no reason other that I like them, I would go with the rick.

8. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I hate them both :bag:
    I'd take the P, if I had to :help: :D

9. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    I found it online.

And the person who offered me the $1099 deal, thank you, but I can get the 96 for much less than that.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Anybody else? What I'm particularly interested in is if the Ric will produce a good sound for the music I play. I know the Smithereens bassist used one and I liked their sound a lot.

10. Ambolina,
    Go to buffalo Bros. up in Carlsbad. You can try both side by each!

11. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I'd die for a chance to play a lefty Fender Deluxe P. I fell in love with the tone as soon I as heard it. Punchy and gritty goodness.

12. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    Do you play with a pick or your fingers?
    Have you tried a G&L or a Musicman (sterling if you like a thin jazz bass neck or Stingray for a P-style)?
    all these are around that same price range

13. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    Both. Pick in the Pixies-esque band. Fingers in the moody britrock band.

And RSMith - thanks for the tip. I'm heading up there today. I think I'll try out their G&Ls too. Been reading some impressive reviews. I'm so excited to get a new bass soon!

14. Skerik1

Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    I'd say get the Ric. I think it would sound GREAT for both styles.

People saying Rics aren't versitile?!?? Les Claypool occasionally plays one, and he does it all!

--Matthew

15. I'd say get the Ric, and let the people that listen to your band know that IT IS the bass sound of the music your band plays.

Lead rather than follow, know what I mean? ;)

I'd also say to get the Ric because they are less common than P-basses, and you'll probably come across another good deal on a P-bass sooner than you will on a nice Ric. I don't own a Ric, but I like them very much.

Good luck.

Mike :)

16. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I have played both P-basses and Ric's and in my opinion the Ric's are harder to play (that is, they didn't feel as good in my hands as the P-Bass), but I guess that could have just been a bad setup.

It's a tough call. If you have never played a Ric, you might love it or you might hate it.

You sure no one around you has a Ric you could plunk around on?

Don

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Ric. It has a cool vibe and is pretty versatile despite its one-trick-pony looks.

The P Am Lux is solid and doesn't feel as weird as a Ric, but I don't like the preamp and it's not bypassable.