Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Of these 3....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Circus, Nov 15, 2003.

Which one?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2003.
  1. Peavey Cirrus

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. Dingwall Afterburner

18 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Lakland 55-02

23 vote(s)
    35.4%
  4. Other, pls specify

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Ok, just getting my usual opinion from everyone on what I plan to buy. I am not buying till the spring, but I am either getting a Peavey cirrus 5, (or 6?), Dingwall Afterburner (5), or a Lakland 55-02 Deluxe. What does everyone suggest? If you pick other, pls specify.

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I say the lakland... but I am biased!

Look here and see why!

They play amazing, I have used them from rock to jazz to punk to metal... And the customer service is unbeatable!

P@

3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i would also go with the 55-02, but i've never played a cirrus.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I've played all three of those except the Dingwall. Any Lakland will destroy any Peavey.

5. The Lakland 55-02, gets my vote.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Remember though that a cirrus is not just any Peavey. They are good peaveys :) . But it sounds like everyone is leaning away from the Cirrus.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I would take the Cirrus over the Lakland. I have never had the pleasure of playing a Dingwall. From what I have heard, I would likely pick it over the Cirrus.

8. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Dingwall gets my vote.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Dingwall. Very nice basses.

Dan :bassist:

10. Well, I am yet to play both a dingwal and cirrus.

But I'd have to say the dingwal, because of the fanned frets, longer scale where needed.

11. Yes, the Cirrus is a good Peavey and a fine instrument but it's still a Peavey.

When Toyota, Nissan and Honda launched luxury models, they had the marketing savvy to come with a new name (Lexus, Infinity, Acura) - even though these companies already had pretty good reputations for quality.

Peavey, on the other hand....:rolleyes:

12. my vote is for the Dingwall.
    I have (had) two Afterburners (fretted and fretless) and i've played the Lakland (sorry never played a PV cirrus).
    To me you should decide what your looking for first.
    The Dingwall has the Novax board and is very playable, articulate, and punchy. W/ the FD-1 p'ups the bass is modern sounding, and aggressive. Great tone for fingerstyle and slap playing.
    I found the Lakland to have more of a traditional vibe and tone. It didn't play like a fender but it copped those tones. It too was quite playable, and sounded great. As for some minute differences, the Lakland wasn't as resonant or articulateas the Dingwall (the notes didn't ring out as clearly and bloom as quickly) , but it was very good.
    frank

13. does dingwall and lakland have websites??~?? i wanna see. I have seen that one guys 6 string dingwall, and im in love :)

- w00t:hyper:

14. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I own a Cirrus-5 & a 55-02 I like them both for different reasons. They sit in the mix well. :D
    If you buy used there are some great deals to be had. :bassist: :bassist:

15. www.dingwallguitars.com
    if you do a search for dingwall you'll find more thread w/ photos of the afterburners

as for Lakland i'm not familiar w/ their website, but again do a search, there is a bunch of online bass stores that sell both basses

16. Get a fretless Dingwall. Unlined.;)

17. Heh, that'd be cool. I think I am leaning towards the Afterburner. Partially because they look and sound wicked, and also I can play before I buy. I have never played a Lakland, and can't find them around here. Although I am trusting how no one has said a bad thing about a Lakland, and there are plenty of places to order online.

18. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    From what I've heard, Laklands and Cirruses (cirri?) have pretty different sounds. My vote goes for the Cirrus, as I've been a devout Cirrus player for many years.

EDIT: if you want to see some sweet playing on a Lakland, check out the video on Keith Horne's Artist Profile on bassically.net. Wow.

19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Personally, I like the Lakland basses more than I do the Peavey Cirrus line. If you can, get your hands on all of these basses before you make your final decision.

As for the Dingwall, I have never tried one. I'd prefer to stay with the more traditional basses myself. However I see nothing wrong in going fanned fret if that is appealing to you.

As usual, the bottom line is what do you want out of the bass you buy? For me, I know which I'd pick, but that is based on my personal likes and dislikes. You will need to evaluate the choices based on your personal opinions.

Best of luck.

20. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    Never played the Dingwall but sold my Pedulla Rapture J2 last Saturday and picked up a Cirrus on Monday that i have been eyeing for a bout 6 months... Finally took you advice - Embellisher! One of the best basses I have ever played... Cirrus gets mi vote!

Played a couple of 55-02's as well, good bass but would still take the Cirrus. PEACE!