Of vs. have

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Oysterman, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Repeatedly during the last few weeks I've seen that several people have written "could/would/should OF" instead of "could/would/should HAVE". Not just on this BBS, but in various places on the Internet. People who seemingly have good grip of English still manage to throw in an "of" where it should be a "have". I'm not sure why, but this annoys me to no end.

Damn it, people, learn your own language! :spit:

Just had to vent. Everyone is free to not care.
  2. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Bookmarked, by the way.
  3. Its all because people hear "could've/should've/would've" and don't associate the "'ve" with "have". Phonetically, it is understandable why people think "could've" is "could of". I think that, more than anything, this exemplifies why Shakespearean and great literacy works of centuries gone by need to be kept in the school system.

My pet hate is the misuse of the word "then". People who say, "I'd rather something then something." The word is "than"! Likewise, I constantly see people who are very intelligent slipping up, typing "then" instead of "than". Very frustrating.

4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...it's rediculous but we should show them some compation. :p

brad cook
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Congadulations on a great post - I couldn't of said it better myself!

6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Really though...I'm pretty good at writing and speaking properly but sometimes I'll just have a massive brain fart and botch something ridiculously elementary. Sometimes I catch it if I have time to read over what I just wrote but sometimes I don't. I think part of it comes from the conversational feel of the internet which makes me want to write and think in a conversational way and therefore might cause me to write something phoenetically or just not think that deeply about my writing.

brad cook
  7. Let me put it plain and simple. I understand this possibly more than others because I am young.

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    That is a good point. We should all speak Latin online.
  9. Classic Latin hasn't changed. If it has no one told me.

Porta belam portabit !

Non est something blarghhh

(I had two years of Latin and didn't learn a damn thing)
  10. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I think that's a poor excuse in this particular case. I'm all for a living, changing language. But "couldn't of", "wouldn't of" and "shouldn't of" are not OK in my book, basically because they're nonsensical! Just as "could care less" in the way it's used is nonsensical. If I were to accept those expressions as valid "changes" in English, you'd first have to give the word "of" a new meaning. I don't think the majority of English speakers would approve of that. (Approve have that?)
  11. Kudos to Oysterman,

We tend to get lazy in all aspects of our life. The way we comunicate is the basis on which we are initially percieved. (I'm guilty as charged) I appreciate when someone points out a grammatical error.

I lived in Ohio for a while, (in no means is this a slam on most Midwesterers) and I could not help but think that people who used very poor grammar were stupid. I.e. "hay thats a real good ideal", instead of "idea" . The proper use of tense, not knowing when to use "sit, set or sat" "I have sit the table, now I will sat down to eat".

This is just an example that I can relate to. My ear picks it up because it has worked it's way into the local vernacular. I am sure that midwesterners who found themselves in Brooklyn would have the same experience.

"Irregardless":D of where your from, the use of improper grammar gives a bad impression. If you listen to a well spoken person, you come away with the impression that they are smart. They might be dumb as a bag of rocks, but you would not know it.

FYI: my spelling and grammar sucks a$$, please feel free to correct me.(God I wish I had a spell check on these forums!)
  12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    There is change and then there is just wrong.

Confusing "'ve" or "have" with "of" is just wrong.
  13. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i agree! we should all start using the word "hugga mugga" again, just like Hamlet.

(it means secret :p )
  14. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Of course the language is always changing - but the fundamental way in which we use simple lexis and syntax does not - in any way mutate "should have" to "should of" its just people being lazy with the way they speak/type.

The largest determinig factor on how we speak at the moment is MSword spellchecker - no joke.
  15. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    "English" is what people from England speak. IMO, Americans speak "American"; and there are diverse differences seeing as how so many different cultures have been assimilated. ( never mind regional differencesand lets not get into ebonics. :rolleyes: ) It's only natural that we have absorbed their use of certain words as well. As much as I'm for a more codified common language, its a "battle" that cannot be won. The only factor Im very concerned with is the ability to communicate a message; isn't that the only purpose of language?
  16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay

We both speak Enlgish, we just have slightly different grammer and some unique words to each culture. Same thing goes with Americans from the Midwest talking different than people in the South which talk different than people in New England which also talk different from people on the west coast.

I can still talk to Toasted without needing any kind of dictionary. He might need to explain what he's talking about when he says that he got stuck in a lift, but thats not enough to say its different languages.
  17. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Can someone tell me the difference between "effect" and "affect" and where to use each?
  18. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Effect is a noun. "What are the effects?"
    Affect is a verb. "How were you affected?"

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  19. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Affect is also a noun, indicating emotion. "Affective states", "affective development", and the like. But that's an obscure and somewhat scientific usage. Usually Chris A's interpretation is the more standard.
  20. Yeah, it's the contraction "should've" getting confused with "should of", because they sound so similar.