Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Off axis speaker response -- what is good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fdeck, Mar 10, 2006.

1. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Preparing to add a midrange & tweeter to one of my DIY cabs, I wonder what sort of off-axis response to shoot for. Should I try to keep it within 3 dB of the on-axis curve? How about 6 dB? What is considered to be sufficient?

I am not trying for audiophile perfection here, just a good practical speaker for use in small rooms.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Within 6dB to 30 degrees off-axis is considered the minimum acceptable figure.

3. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    At the other end of the quality scale, what would you consider to be good enough to not bother trying to improve?

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you're down no more than 6dB at 45 degrees that's quite good. Quite rare also, at least as far as commercial speakers are concerned.

5. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Unless you are planning on wandering all over the stage, and don't fold the bass back through the monitors, why would you be concerned about mid and tweeter dispersion? Let the PA and the monitors do the work. That's what they are supposed to do. I guess you could set up an array that covers the entire stage from you back line but it doesn't seem to make sense to me. IMO

If you don't use a big PA and monitors, having no dispersion on the perifery is a good thing. Some people want to get out of the line fire, so to speak.

6. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I typically play without PA support for the bass -- little jazz combo groups and so forth. It seems like using woofer beaming as a way to control volume in the wings is a pretty blunt tool, because it only attenuates the higher frequencies. Of course that's what I am doing right now, because I am playing through a little 1x12 full range box. But I wonder if I can do better.

Also, now that I have mastered low frequency box design, at least in my own imagination, high frequency behavior is the next frontier.

Thinking about it a bit more, I suppose that so long as I have a more balanced sound off-axis, I don't mind if it is at a lower volume level. But I would not mind achieving that balance.