Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

off-center fretboard dots

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoNoise, Apr 28, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey guys, I know I've seen plenty of pictures of fretboards with the fretboards dots either at the top or bottom of the fretboard, but I can't seem to find any of those pictures now that I really need them. Can you post some pics or urls please? Thanks. :p

2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    [​IMG]

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Cort Action V:
    [​IMG]

4. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
  5. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    [​IMG]

6. Viviuos

Viviuos

Jul 15, 2004
    Nehawka, Nebraska
  7. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all the posts so far. If anyone else has any other pics or urls you'd like to post, go ahead. I can always use more "inspiration" ;)

8. goat1234

goat1234

Mar 17, 2004
    Virgnia
    Does any one know why they chose to do this? I find it aesthetically unpleasing, and would never buy a bass with them.

9. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    chose to do what? make the dots off-center? I actually don't like the look of the standard dots in the middle of the fretboard :smug:

10. Don't know. I don't find it especially attractive either, but there's no way off-center inlays could stop me from buying a Tune...

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I personally prefer clean fretboards, I never look at the front dots anyway, just the ones on the top.

12. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I agree, but I actually do find the smaller dots aesthetically pleasing. I think its just personal preference, I definitely would never say "this way looks best and anyone that thinks otherwise is wrong" :smug:

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've seen fretless basses that have offset inlays from 1 - 12 between the B and E, and from 13 - 24 between the D and G. I assume it's to help with intonation in the range that is typically played in.

I'm personally not a fan of that, but offset dots at the lower strings I kinda dig. I agree that a plain board is nicest, however that wouldn't be the deciding factor in a purchase of an instrument for me.

14. I would imagine that the reasoning behind the off-center dots would be that they're easier to see when looking at the fretboard from a playing position than dots in the center.

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I too prefer no face inlays these days (I just look at the side dots, which I don't like too small), but if there are to be face inlays, unless they're elaborate (like the wolf mountain thing on the Warwick Bleached-Blonde Thumb or the planet inlays on the Corvette Hot-Rod; I don't like the overdone inlays like on the ESP DF404 and all that), I prefer the small offset dots. Still, I find it silly to look at the face inlays; I mean, nobody plays all hunched over like that, right? But if you need to look at face dots, better they bee off-centered so you hunch over less.

16. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I completely agree with everything you said. I'm 99% I'm going to get my dots off-center towards the bottom of the fretboard. It is part eye-pleasing to me, but it is also partly so that it is easier for me to play on the upper strings. On most of my basses, I don't have any fretboard dots, but I have noticed that if I'm playing on the upper strings, it is sometimes difficult to look at the top of the neck at the same time (I guess I play slightly hunched someties :smug: ). Basically, I like to mix it up with my basses. I like some some to have them standard, some off-set (either direction), and most not at all. :D

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yeah, I never look at the top dots either. Clean boards are very cool, but I like having top dots when I want the bass to have a vintage look.

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.