Off days or am I just not good enough?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Cambass, Mar 18, 2001.

1. Does anyone else have bad days when they feel they just don't crack it? Today was one such day and it drives me crazy because then I start to wonder if I'm even good enough to play in a band or if I'm suited to the bass. I'm still in the learning stage but I have got my profficiency and speed ok (plus fretboard knowledge) it's just the music theory that I stumble on sometimes. I get scared off by the thought of not knowing enough music theory, I have a recurring nightmare that I'll end up on one of the "most over rated bass players" list on BB's like this one because I don't know enough. I want to learn as much as I can but I just can't get motivated some days. (Maybe I should just buy a drumkit!)

Does this happen to anyone else?
  2. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Don't worry! Everyone has an off day every now and then - I went through a similar crisis of confidence a few weeks ago:

Try not to let it get you down - if you're still learning (By the way, you're always still learning - you'll probably never be as good as you want to be.) you'll have days like this. Eventually, you'll have a practise where everything clicks, and you'll realise why you're playing the bass in the first place.
  3. [​IMG]
  4. Just put the bass down for a few days. Find a few songs to learn and jam too and you'll be back better than ever =D
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Kick back relax. A few hours later go back to bass instantly all is cured. Thats all
  6. Who's better.....Fieldy or Cambass? :D
    Sorry had to crack your rocks......

Honestly though keep your head up......We all go through this at times......You will be fine if you keep practicing and have the right attitude.......

P.S. No drumkits.....
  7. if anyone here is going to be there it's me =) my band thinks I'm a god! hehe I suck! (or at least that's what I say :D)
  8. Don't let it get ya down. I have been playing for almost 30 years now, and I still have days like that. Granted they are far enough apart now that they aren't a problem, but they are annoying. My band plays almost exclusively improv acid-punk-jazz. And there are days and nights that I just can't find a groove anywhere. Those are exhausting nights, but they go away when the gig is over.
    Don't let yourself obsess over it. Remind the bass who the boss is...
  9. i used to always have trouble with music theory and such. i could play fairly well but i always stumbled on theory and notation and that kinda stuff. so how did i solve my problem? i decided to stop trying to learn it and have fun with my playing. ive gotten a lot better since.
  10. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa an off day...:(
  11. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    After regular playing for about 14 years I got into cycling, and spent a lot of time training and **** like that which meant instead of a regular weekly gig I was playing once every month, then every other month, then a couple a year... etc

About 8 months ago I got a call from a guitarist I played with for five or six years, and when he rings you don't want to say no, and I started playing again. Steadily the gigs started again, gig a month, gig a fortnight, gig a week.

As time progressed I noticed that I couldn't play the stuff I used to be able to play - in my mind I could hear it, but the fingers just weren't able to do it.

Unfortunately the day I really thought about this and really tried my best to play (and failed to play) some quick notes and realised that I was now crap compared to how I used to be I also went round to a fellow bass players house and he just blew my mind with the stuff he could play, and that 4 years ago I would have easily done.

Deep depression.

So I'm back on an hour a day practice and things are starting to look better already - I can't pick paper up my finger tips are that shiny and smooth and I'm enjoying my playing again.

Funny thing was - the band hadn't noticed my 'problems' - I was still driving the band along doing as much as they needed without being as good as I can (should/will) be - as long as my timing was good they hadn't spotted that my technical ability was not as good as it used to be.

There is more to this - but I'll save it for some time when I haven't got a cat sat in front of my monitor :)
  12. The very fact that you worry if you are "good enough" and take your proficiency at bass seriously is a good sign.This tells me and everyone how important it is to you;how much it means to you.

Everyone has days or periods like that.If I am sucking big time or really struggling I will take from 1-3 days off.By the time I start up again I am really chomping at the bit to play!Seems to allow me to put more into my music.Keep plugging along dude!

I`m in the same boat as you getting better(self taught)but don`t know very much muisic theory.We aspiring bassists need to stick together!

*group hug*
  13. I know EXACTLY how you feel. Somedays I'll have a very "on" day: I'm making up cool parts or I'm not screwing up when I try to play something. Then I have the bad days: missed fingerings, no inspiration, NO enjoyment. I must say that for every bad day, it's not enough for me to quit because the good days are what really count, and they make you realize why you wanted to play music in the first place.
  14. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey JR,

Just wanted to say that maybe you should invest a couple bucks into getting a good teacher to teach you theory. Its really not that hard once you have someone teaching you who knows what they're doing. IMO, theory is absolutely essential, and you're only setting yourself up for failure in the long run by choosing not to learn it. Just takes a good teacher and willingness to learn.

If you dont work on things you cant do, how will you ever get better?
  15. Thanks everyone, I took the advice of not playing for a day or two (coincedently my amp is was buggered and I had to wait for it to be fixed!) and now I do feel quite better.

Angus - I'm looking into getting a teacher as I am finding it hard to understand some theory aspects by myself. I may even do a music course next year if I have enough cash. :)
  16. i am my own worst critic.

I go for long periods of time thinking that my playing is not adequate. that usually happens when i've gone for long periods of time B'tween gigs or rehearsals. but, when i get back to it, it just happens. i guess i've been doing this long enough, that it just comes to me when i strap the thing on.

but i always feel that i can do better, i know i can -until the engineer says - "it's a take" and i have no choice but to settle for the performance i've done. but usually, it grows on me when i listen to the playback.

where am i going with this?

i don't know - i just felt like replying.