1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Off for 3 day country music club camping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Garyth, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Sep 9, 2013
    Punta Gorda Florida
    A weekend planned with our local Country Music Club for a bit of socialization and music - where I hope to learn something about playing bass (hey, I own two now, I need to learn to play them).

It will also be my 1st real live outing as a fiddle player - I'm already nervous :bag:

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Go for it! Have fun!

Rule #1 here at TalkBass "Pics or it didn't happen." So post pics when you get back!

3. Garyth

Garyth Now What ..?

Sep 9, 2013
    Punta Gorda Florida
    Ok, it was fun. Not so many musicians came (or they hid). We did have avg 70 people around on Sat and Sun.

My debut was Friday night, it was bad. Like the first time singer forgetting the words, my fingers forgot where the notes were and I shook so bad I had a bouncing bow-vibrato through most of it ... alright, slight exaggeration. The other musicians heard every gaff right along with me but the people listening enjoyed it.

Strangely enough, the picture taker was listening so didn't snap a picture of me out front, so this is me hiding in the back trying to play by ear. I'd never played the songs they were doing so I stayed out of ear-shot and tried to figure them out where only I could hear.
    zRH4pmp.

The fiddle is from the mid-1900's, I finished restoring it about 2 weeks ago.
    qdFDU2i.

Here is a shot of the main three that played Friday/Sat:
    p3r7Hyv.
    Note: the accordion player is 86 and she rocks. Don't even try to keep up with her, phew.

Here's a shot of the drummer grabbing a bass, no one brought drums. truth is, they weren't needed anyway. She's crazy good on drums but wants to branch out.
    q4cOp84.

awesome singer as well, no drums so she borrowed some fire wood.
    ukmCij5.

You want to hear old-time country, this is the guy with the voice for it.
    DRAjWgm.

Rhythm guitar/lead singer with his wife. She has a pro voice and no interest in it, just wants to have fun with friends - nothing wrong with that in my book.
    SdsypoP.

This is me pretending I can harmonize, you can see what she thinks of that ....
    y8my92t.

I can't post without a shot of my SO, 31ys married.
    W92k03Q.
    note: don't tell her I posted a picture of her.

End the night with a gospel song, it's tradition.
    C2dIefc.

By Sunday evening most everyone was gone so I pulled out the fiddle and played the songs I did know - all 6 of them.
    QfuFEbW.

Nothing big and fancy by some people's standards but we all had fun.

ps:

my biggest fan:
    HZ7Krw3h.