1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Off goes my NV610 for something small & light. Super 12's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassguppy, Jan 11, 2012.

1. And hopefully loud too.

Some state that several of the super 12's can give 210's and some 410's a run for their money. But which? Can any pair of Super 12's compete with the NV610 for volume?

I've read reviews and opinions here, read spec charts, & watched KJung's youtube video's (thanks!!) regarding Acme, Baer, Audiokinesis, etc...and I am leaning towards an Acme Fulllrange/Flatwound combo but not sold on it yet only because I think that any of my choices will please me. I will purchase/need 2 cabinets.

I'm a 4 string (occasional 5 string) player and like clean but also an aggressive, tubey tone depending on the need. I usually use a jazz bass & sometimes a P. For amps I have a pre/power rig Eden Nav/Crown @ 1100W a side, Ampeg SVT7PRO, and an Ampeg PF500.

Sadly, the Berg & my Ampeg SVT2 gotta go.

2. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Berg + SVT 2's probably one of my dream rigs. How about the NV412?

3. It's my dream rig too as it just gives a big grin when playing live. I wouldn't even consider getting rid of it only that I had surgery nearly 5 months ago and can't lift anything much over 40lbs. My little Ampeg PF cabs are a struggle.

One nice thing is the NV610 easily fits in the back seat of many sedans but the weight is a killer for those with medical issues.

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Well, an NV610 really kicks a**. So if you actually need the output of your 610, then maybe nothing less will work. I am an old guy with a heart attack under my belt, and have used 2-112 neo cabs for some time now. I guess they could be called "super" 12's. Designed by Duke, and really very powerful. These have been all I ever need, and then some. Will they keep up with your 610 using similar amps? I dunno.

But, if you are restricted due to medical reasons, like me, then it is a moot issue. Get lighter cabs....or die. Two 112 neo's may surprise you with their high output and great bottom.

5. Needing the output of an NV610? Probably not. Having the power of it is nice though.

Not sure if the 112's you have are the TC112's (built by Duke) but those do sound very nice (at least on youtube).

6. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Naw. The 112's I use were designed by Duke, built by me. He tells me that my stack has greater bottom than the TC, but then, I use 2. I am not really supposed to "promote" them, so I will say little else. I am only saying that, which ever brand you may choose, a couple of 2-112 neos will kick butt. They work for me.

OK. The heck with it. Since these are not yet available for sale...here is the proto that I use Bottomline2001827x2061.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I find my NV610 a lot easier to move around than most other cabs I have owned. Even into the car it is just tilt and lift. I have a Bergantino HT112ER which is a great cab but honestly, and given the wheels on the NV610, the 610 is not much more difficult to move and is in fact probably easier. Are you sure you really want to get rid of it??

8. it's definitely an easy lift (for a 610).

When I think about it, my surgeon told me to be careful when lifting BUT if I do get a hernia he can repair it outpatient in about 1/2 hour.

hmm...

9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I was sad when I sold the NV215, but the truth was it was overkill for anything I was doing. Finding an AE210 cured the blues.

Nothing sounds like that NV, but the 210 covers my needs and adding a 1x12 puts out a lot of rumble. It is much easier to carry.

Kjung says the Baer 1x12 is like the ae210 with more bottom end. That sounds like an ideal cab to me. I think two stacked would rock, but if you're like me, most of the time one would do. I don't know if it could do NV610 volume, but it would probably get close and put out more low end. But ask yourself: Did I ever need the NV at it's max volume?

I tried an LDS 12/6 with the 3012lf and it was a nice cab but a little too clean. The baer sounds like it would be more NVish than a fearful or TC.

I also tried a PF500 with an SVT210AV. It sounded pretty good for a lightweight package. I had a micro vr stack coming and intended to try two of the 210's stacked but had trouble with both amps so I never got the opportunity. But I think two of them vertically stacked would give you an inexpensive, portable and reasonably loud system with that whole SVT/fridge vibe thing.

This post contains information believed to be accurate and complete at the date of preparation. However, no guarantee is expressed or implied by Nutdog or any subsidiary of Nutdog. Advice given assumes compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.

10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Hard to replicate either the SPL or tone of a NV610 in the smaller packages. I don't think any of the smaller guys produce the same sort of compressed sound that the tweeterless sealed cab does.

Nevertheless, there are some nice options, if you really need the lighter weight. I would either go with 2 Berg HD112's (44lbea) or the Baer ML 1112's. If weight is a huge issue, I would probably hunt around for 2 of the AE112's on the used market. GL