1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ

*OFF MARKET* FS: Brand New Shen SB100 - oil varnish

Discussion in 'DB Classifieds Archive' started by thejumpcat, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Can't believe I'm doing this. I just bought this bass last Wednesday and gigged with it twice. It's a really, REALLY sweet bass. But some unexpected finances, once again, force me to sell. This is one I will kick myself for one day, but I have no choice.

According to the guy I bought it from, it was one of Shen's display models at a recent instrument show in Nashville. I don't know that much about Shens, other than this thing is sweet. The pics tell it all.

It has Helicore Hybrids, probably lights. No case -- I didn't need one.

I believe these basses are currently out of stock, too.

The seller, Gary Ritter, put a new soundpost in it; dressed the fingerboard; filed the nut; installed a new rope-type tailpiece wire; and replaced the bridge with a Panpi with black adjuster wheels.

I don't think the pics really do the top justice. It's got a very wild looking grain, and the oil varnish makes it pop. And, yes, it sounds super bad. The Realist p/u shown does not come with it.

I'm near Detroit and am willing to drive an hour or so. Otherwise, buyer pays shipping costs.

$2,100

2. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey man, I'm sorry to see you have to sell your new bass. :( It looks really nice - you shouldn't have too much trouble selling it...

3. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Thanks, Jake. I'm thinking it should move quickly.

I am not happy at all about having to get rid of this, especially after I got a chance to play it a bit. I had to sell an old Kay Swingmaster earlier this year, but it didn't come close to this Shen.

I was hoping to be able to do some recording with it, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now. It sounds great with the Realist, but I think mic'd it would be special.

I pulled the trigger on it too soon; shoulda waited to have a bit more of a financial cushion. Live and learn....

4. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Did another gig with this bass last night. It's a joy to play and a real looker.

Price drop: $2,000.

5. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    pmed

6. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    ..replied to.

7. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Brooklyn, NY
    never got your PM Jump?

8. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    That's weird. It's in my Sent folder.
    I forwarded my reply. Let me know if you get that one.
    Regardless, here was my reply:

It's a laminate -- the top has a spruce veneer and the sides and back are maple veneer. Here's a link to the Shen website with info:

http://www.cscproducts.com/

9. You did a great job capturing the very nice oil varnish Shen is using these days

10. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    I got lucky. The sun was coming through the window and helped out. It's still much better than the photos. The grain in the top's veneer is really unique.

Played it for two sets at last night's gig and it just sang. The neck is sooo much more comfortable than my old Kay. I'm gripping the neck properly now, which means my left forearm isn't burning all night.

I'm using a Realist p/u through an Ampeg B115T, and it sounds amazing. If it sells, I'll be bumming.

11. Gary Lynch

Gary Lynch

Nov 18, 2008
    Sonoita AZ
    They are a fine bass for what they are. Built very well. I did not know the price went up. For a factory bass, they are not that plentiful as one might think.

12. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat

Sep 30, 2007
    metro-Detroit
    Getting some cash from my 401k and hanging on to the Shen for now.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.