off/on delay on Distortion pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Skit1, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    Hi guy I need your help :)

When my pedal is off (clean) and I want to switch to on (Distortion) there is a 1 second delay (of silence) from the time I stomp on the pedal to the time the Distortion kicks in.

I'd really like to find away to fix this as I really like this pedal I can dial in alot of tones out of it.

I realise this is almost certainly going to be an electrical/wireing this so I've took a few quick shots of the pedal:

Any help you can give me would be great.

2. What distortion is it?
  3. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Johnson EQ Distortion
  4. never heard of it. I would head over to harmony central and read some reviews on it. If its a common problem with the pedal, theres a good chance some one will had a mod, or a way to fix it posted somewhere. And there doesnt seem to be any internal trim pot that i can see in the pics that would maybe adjust it.

sorry i cant be of much help

5. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    As Petary said its a Johnson DEQ2.

Thanks for checking out the thread.
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    My first thought is "bad footswitch". A connection to the switch or INSIDE the switch may be dirty/corroded/not well soldered.
  7. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    As far as soldering goes it appears fine to me, and the switch seems to be fine.

If this was the case, wouldnt there be a problem going from on/off too?

8. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would guess you have a bad component (maybe a bad capacitor?) or faulty IC chip.