Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Off to Europe for a month!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Before all this stuff happened with my Dad I was planning to travel round Europe for a month with a few friends, I planned to cancel it but my Mum thinks it would be a good idea to go. So I am. For a month :)

I will try to keep you updated (because I'm sure you'll be hanging on my every word :cool: ) but that's only if I have the time, money and inclination to get to an internet cafe. I'm starting off by meeting some friends from Hertford in Berlin. Getting there by ferry, then train, because we're doing this whole thing by inter rail. Then we're off to Prague, Barcelona, Vienna, Nice, Madrid and Amsterdam :)

So... See you in a month. :hyper:

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    ...you're already in Europe. :p

Have fun! I wish I could travel Europe for a month, I am sure you'll have a good time. :)

3. Have fun Tommy-boy! Don't do anything I wouldn't do ;) .

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I hope not in that order - it would be back-and-forth ;)

5. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Dude, Nice is awesome. Make sure you check out the medieval village nearby, that's where I got the awesome ice cream and sandwhiches. I went to Barcelona too... it was probably the most boring of all the places I visited in Europe. It's probably not a bad city, but it's just that... a city. There was no interesting history to speak of, other than perhaps Gaudi, the awesomely skitzophrenic architect without a plan. I didn't go to the other places though, so I have no idea...

6. I would tell you to sample the drink "absinthe" while you're there, but you live in england, and it's legal there :p Have fun bro.

7. Well.....Amsterdam is pretty boring as well....(I live in the Netherlands...) unless you are interested in coffeeshops or "the redlight-district"........ :rolleyes:

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ever thought of coming to Budapest or some other nice city in Hungary? ;) If you're interested in history, than you would probably like it. This goes to Tom, too! If you feel like it, hop down from Vienna, it is the closest point of your journey. ;) :cool:

9. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    hey man, if u need a place to crash. i'm 10 min away from amsterdam. :D u have urself a nice one.

10. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Hey guys, back from Europe, was amazing! Went to Berlin first, it was absolutely incredible, no licensing laws, cheap beer, great bars and clubs (I heartily recommend the Astrobar and the Arabali hookah bar in East Berlin). Then went to Prague, cheap beer, beautiful women, lovely city, way too many tourists though... Then went to Budapest, was the bollocks! Beautiful city, VERY beautiful women, cheap beer, went to a couple of outdoor clubs, Rio and Zold Pardon, mostly lame music, but good places to meet the laydeez... Also went to a little bar thing in front of Zold Pardon where they were playing some drum n bass, danced the night away, met a great guy called Atilla, then, more importantly, met a beautiful Hungarian girl called Sofie... ;)

Vienna was mostly very expensive, not really as nice to look at as the other places we've been to, but we did get to see some drum n bass in the form of Bad Company UK at Flex, a pretty good club near Schwedenplatz.

Then, last of all went to Milan. I hated it, everyone was walking around wearing huge silly sunglasses and £3000 suits. Not really a backpackinh hotspot...

All considered though, I had an amazing time, and next year will be going back to Berlin and Budapest, and maybe Zagreb and some other crazy Eastern European places...

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    heh, glad you had fun!

i'm off to croatia on monday.

12. I can't wait to go to Europe. Not til next spring though :meh:

13. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    YOU'RE STILL IN EUROPE!!!

14. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'm happy you liked it here!!! :D :hyper:
    So I gave you a good tip, huh? :smug:
    Next time you come, email/tell me if you need any specific info/touring/etc ;)
    Rio and Zöld Pardon (Green Pardon) are just a couple of meters away, on the left/right side of the bridge, so it looks like you didnt get too far :smug: , but there are other places, too
    Yeah, I know the music sucks there... but there are other reasons people go there ;)

Good music will start with the Sziget, a week-long festival with a lot of concerts - I have no idea how many, but surely over a hundred with quite a few international and succesful bands :D

15. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Budapest is a lovely city. Glad to hear you liked it. I had a blast when I stayed there.... the food was great!

16. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You too've been here? :cool: :D
    Glad that you liked it too ;)
    Tell me if you come next time (should've told me you came ;) )
    And if you, too, need any help, info, or anything, just tell me! ;)

17. Phht, Ireland > mainland Europe. We have sheep. And such.

:scowl: :bag:

18. To us islanders, going to Europe usually means going to the actual mainland.

19. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    You islanders think you are so much better than the rest of Europe. Pfft. :rolleyes:

:D

20. Mmm... yup!

;) :smug: :D