Off topic but old tube radio

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by acexxxoasis, Jul 28, 2005.

1. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I was walking to the gas station to my suprise I see a 1930-50s looking record player sitting on the curb I say if that things tube its mine I look and it is tube but now comes the tricky part, It says on the back "Westinghouse stereophonic high fidelity with AM-FM Radio" its a model H-M 1410 Walnut stain contemporary styled unit 2x12" 4x6" all tube record player with one 12ax7 pre amp tube, two 7591 (Power tubes?) and a 5U4GB tube (dunno nother power tube?) in the tuner it has four 6BA6, one 6AL5, one 6eu7, one 6BE6, one 12AT7. Its 155 watts 105-120 volts it works and sounds PRETTY good a little staticy but its OLD so any ideas about where I can find information on it? I think it will need a new needle for the record player but I think I got a pretty good deal :p
  2. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    sorry for the bump the only problem Ive found with it yet is that the volume knob is uhh very bad at what it does... its very jumpy... it will be like quiet LOUD cant hear LOUDER muted scratchy distorted... I dont feel like changing out stuff on it should I try cleaning the pots on her?
  3. If it's got FM, it's most likely from the late 50's to very early 60's.

As far as the tubes, Google each of the tube numbers and you can easily find out what each tube does. For example, the 5U4GB (if my memory serves me right) is the rectifier tube.

The 155 watts is just the power consumption from the wall, NOT the power it puts out to the speakers!!

As far as the scratchy pots, order a bottle of Caig Lube spray from Parts Express, that should help.

I would not run this radio until it's had a cap job. While 50 year old tubes probably will be fine, electrolytic caps dry up and then bad things happen.

Needles can be obtained from the Needle Doctor and other such places. Bear in mind this is probably a ceramic cartridge, with a high tracking force, so don't play valuable records on it.
  4. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    didnt plan on running records through it maybe just playing the radio... would any problems arise from running it with the same caps cause I dont really want to have to replace all that stuff
  5. No problem as long as you don't mind it blowing up. :eek:

I'm not joking, tube caps have very high voltage on them. When they fail, they can do so violently. :eek: :eek:

But I have some good news: I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to--oh wait, ooops...

Actually, if you know how to solder, and know a tad about electronics, this may be something you could do yourself. Total cost, in that case, would be maybe $50 give or take. But a tech would charge a couple or three hours labor, so I can understand your reluctance.

Live within driving distance of Nashville? I could help you out if you were close by.
  6. acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    not even friggin close :p no but my step dad has geico insurance... lol I can solder pretty well I do it often enough... I race electric RC cars so yeah I solder every race like 9 times a racee..... I gots me some electrical knowledge too lol

grr why did it get moved I put it in the amps forum because I didnt know any other place to put it where I would get an answer from the amp gurus
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    That's awesome man! :) I always enjoyed playing with my grand-dad's tube radio. We'd get broadcasts from all over the world. We couldn't understand anything that wasn't in English or French, but it was cool knowing we were listening to broadcasts from so many different countries from all over.