Offence to Bass Players world wide..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Jun 22, 2002.

1. I was outraged...

Daily Mail, 22nd of June (British Conservative Paper)

"Question:By the time i retire i'd like to be able to play a musical instrument. Unfortunately i have no musical ability. Which instrument could i master in 6 years.

Answer: The best bet is probably the electric bass, sometimes referred to as the electrified plank or the cricket bat.
    This has frets to guide the fingers (unlike a proper bass) and the volume and echo will go a long way towards disguising not only bad intonation but even whole strings of wrong notes.
    For financial success, you will also have to reduce your apparent age by at least two-thirds and train yourself to keep moving on stage.
    Rod Hamer, band leader, Wendover, Bucks.

What a B**tard, i think that this typical of people view of our instrument, whats your views?
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Whether you take it seriously or not, it's a joke either way.
  3. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Rod Hamer SUCKS THE BAG!!
  4. don't break a sweat over it.. just another mindless primate...
  5. He appears to be yet another poor misguided fool who dosent know the pleasure to be gained from playing such a wonderful instrument as the bass...

either that or its just a joke.

6. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I thought it was pretty funny. He nailed why I became a bass player.
  7. it was in the "Daily Mail," the readership is too posh/stuck up/old/ conservative to joke. in fact i doubt joke is in there vocabulary...
  8. the above is in no way a generalisation.!!:confused:
  9. That guys sounds very bitter about something. My guess is that his best friend Jules started playing bass and moved on to join a successful band and went on tour and never spoke to him again.
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Maybe he was beaten with a bass as a child. :confused:
  11. if that person who asked about the insturtment buys a bass and then realize it's hard to play.. then they will probably sell it for cheap to a kid who really wants a bass but cant afford a new one, then the kid will learn the bass and practice a lot and become the next JT..

.. it's win-win ...
  12. The average age of a Daily Mail reader is close to the average age of a Buick purchaser in the US, so this comes as no surprise.

Don't sweat it--in fifty years, nobody will be alive who grew up with anti-BG prejudices.
  13. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    A lot of people don't know what we do about the bass, they don't realize we can control it all with our parts, we will take over the world muwhahah ::gets off of soap box:: There are idiots all over the place-just don't let them get to ya. I take those comments the same way i take the "Why does it have 5 strings?" comments, smile & just say "I'm so good they gave me another one" & wait for the reaction of their faces. :D have fun
  14. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Um... so what's the problem?
  15. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I think typically, it's true. Based on what I've read on this board over the last three years, I'd say 80% of the "musicians" on this board can't read music, can't figure out a tune by ear and can't improvise.

This perception exists because in the vast majority of cases, it's true. And if you're one of the ones perpetuating the stereotype, don't b!tch when someone throws it in your face.
  16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    You RULE, Lump! When it needed to be said, you said it. You freakin' rule.
  17. That's not really applicable lump, after all, guitarists get no such hassle, and I'd say the same percentage, at least, applies to guitarists. They have a lot more support in the form of magazines and tablature websites, which they make use of. And yet, their instrument is not derided for it's lack of complexity. Hell, if I was a guitarist and I had all these resources, I'd be a monster shredder. I don't care what anybody says, these factors make GUITAR easier than BASS. I also think that Talkbass is the closest thing bassists have to formidable resources - one site in a few hundred thousand guitar sites.

However, your point about the musicians on this board being musically imcompetent is well taken. I'm one of them.
  18. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    a few years ago i would've vehemently disagreed and pounded out a fret-buzzed root note in frustration at your fogeyism, but after having a look over here i couldn't agree more.

good call, lumpus.
  19. That guy only wishes he could play as good as me!