1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Offered a crappy job..should I accept?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Lowner, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I left my job a month ago. I am collecting unemployment. I interviewed for a job today and was offered the position. The hours are terrible, pay will only be 20 cents more than what I was getting before I left my previous job. But should I take the position and suck it up After all its a job and I am unemployed or should I refuse the job? I need advice.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Damn straight you should take it. Get off the unemployment and go make things better. If it doesn't work out, you can move on. That said, you may end up liking it.

3. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Depends dude, I'm in the same situation at the moment (unemployment, not the job offer)... I guess what you have to ask yourself is if this is the sort if place you can really see yourself working at in a year? If not it's probably going to end up the same way down the track with you looking for another job....

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Since you're accepting public unemployment money I say yes. I think the argument could even be made that you have an obligation to take the job. If you were supporting yourself I'd say no, don't take it but that's not the case. You should get off the public money as soon as you are able.

bc

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    That is how it is in Washington state. One of the questions they ask you when you file each week is "Did you turn down any offers to work?" or something like that. I don't know exactly, that's just what a friend told me. :ninja:

Anyway, take the job. Don't be a bum/loser and sit at home.

-Mike

6. +1 on taking the position.

Even if you don't like the job, you'll be getting more experience and skills than you will sitting at home.

7. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Take the job. Or don't take it. Weight the choices! Is there a better job out there such that the likelihood of you getting x the benefits > the benefits at this job? Personally, I dont really believe in probablity... I think it's archaic.. but this method works. I think .. some guy... a long time ago.... used it to justify believing in God.

If you do believe in God and He doesnt exist.. well.. nothing happens to you.
    If you do believe in God and He does exist... consider this "infinity" because heaven is the shiz.
    If you don't believe in God and He doesn't exist... then still nothing.
    If you don't believe in God and He does exist... call this "negative infinity" because Hell is the anti-shiz.

8. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    You could always work the corner

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nothin' says you can't be looking for a better job while you're working your "in the meantime" job.

10. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm in the exact same position as you. I left my job about a month ago after just being plain sick of it. Now, I'm looking for a new job. In fact, I've got an interview tomorrow, that I'm somewhat nervous about. I was offered a job at a cleaners by a friend for 10 hours a week, making $7.50 an hour. I was willing to accept it, because it was still money. Everyone I've talked to has offered the same advice, find some income, even if its temporary.

I'm curious about collecting unemployment, how exactly do you qualify? I voluntarily quit my job, so I'm assuming I wouldn't qualify.

11. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    Well, here is a little more. it is the first interview I have gone on since I left my job. I have 2 interviews next week and training for this job starts Monday. I had crappy hours and crappy pay at my last job not to mention working conditions were bad. This is really going to be no different than my last job working conditions are the same. I will be right back in the same boat again.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yes, but nothing says that this is forever. At least you'll be off the government cheese and making your own way. Keep looking for bigger and better employment - settle for this work in the short term, but don't settle for it in the long run.

13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Yeah, get off the government dole. The people who never plan on working need that money.

14. Take it. You can still look for something else at the same time.

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    You better consider where your other interviews are.

Yes, you are using "public" money right now. Don't let people bully you into the idea that you didn't earn it. The money is there for you and others for a reason....you contributed to it while you were working and everyone else contributes to it. If you willingly quit your job, that different..and you wouldn't be elligible, but you need this money right now.

Take the route that's best for you. If one of your other interviews has strong chance to put you on a better path, than I say make that attempt.

Using your unemployment is that it is there for. You could go work at Taco Bell and that would make other people happy, but it wouldn't support your needs if you're coming from a $15 an hour job.

Don't let yourself be bullied into a bad situation. You're not using a fraudulent disability claim....you're not fleecing welfare. You haven't done anything wrong. Do what you believe will be best for you. If that's this job or another.

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Nyuk nyuk nyuk

bc

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No one is doing any bullying here. He asked for opinions and opinions were given, so shut yer trap and quit accusing people of bullying before I sock ya one.

*takes lunch money*

bc

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Well said. Not to kick you when you're down, but there are a lot of people who could be working and aren't. Yeah, it may not be your dream job, but it's a job. Getting off assistance is good for everyone - you and those of us supporting you. Who knows where it may lead. There's nothing that says you can't be looking for another job while working that one. People do it all the time.

19. I'd take it. Just try to find a better one ASAP. Even if it sucks, it's better than living off of welfare. If you can get a job, then you shouldn't be on welfare.

Good luck! Sorry to hear about your crappy situation.

20. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    As mentioned earlier, your unemployment is at risk if you turn down that job. Like, it could disappear. Take it, and keep looking. And stop interviewing for crappy jobs....;)