Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Offered a gig, have to pass... sigh.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Mar 17, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Went to audition for a cover band in Houston yesterday. I live about 100 miles away, but I have been driven to pretty extreme measures to find a suitable project. I showed up ready to play five of their tunes, less than 24 hours after getting a copy of their setlist. Anyway, they offered me the job on the spot. Said they had other auditions scheduled but would cancel them if I accepted. I told them to continue with their auditions, but that I was definitely interested.

That was a lie - just didn't have the heart to be honest on the spot. I'll let them down by email in the next day or so.

I'd be pleased to play with them if they were local, but I just didn't see enough potential (or rather, ability to realize their potential) to make the 100 mile drive every weekend worthwhile.

I'm feeling pretty down at the moment because I had such high hopes for this band. Also, I have to face the notion that I'm being picky - even though practical concerns dictate that a 100 mile commute would have to be for a project I had absolutely zero reservations about.

Sigh... the seemingly futile search continues. :(

Not that anyone should care, but I needed to vent. :)

2. Oh well, them's the breaks. At least you have the willpower to decline now, rather than spending all that time driving, getting to know the music and bandmates and then having to leave because you can't hack the commute.

And I think venting/receptive ears is all part of a real community.

3. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    sorry bout that donkey--the right thing will come along in time. 100 miles is a bit to drive for practice and working out details...unless it's the perfect situation.

good luck!! it'll find you...:cool:

4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Man, I have been there since December of 2001. People tell me I'm too picky as well, but what are you gonna do, right? I mean, you are the way you are and I am the way that I am. I hope something works out for you in the near future, cuz this waiting's a real killer.

5. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Gotta love TB! :D

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Bummer about the project, SD.

I think you made the right choice in the end. I don't see myself driving 100 miles for an audition. At least you gave it a try. You know how the song goes, you can't hurry love.

Have you thought of temporarily joining a lesser band in your area? One that has some musical merit and will keep your knuckles greased while you're looking for a more permanent situation? Either that or get a couple friends to jam with you once in a while. Good luck.

7. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks, B-Bird. I'm in a local cover band that fills that temporary niche exactly. It's actually filling that niche for a really good guitarist and drummer, too. We've tried to reinvent/splinter the band into something better, but I've given up on that - they're old dogs (heh, actually slightly younger than me) who desperately want to learn new tricks but can't. I've also got some work as a sideman for a blues artist that's supposed to be in the works, too, after playing a pickup gig a few weeks ago.

So, it could be worse - at least I'm playing :) Been searching for about a year now, though. Hategear is inspiring for his patience (looking since '01?!? - man, that's tough.)

Hey, I really dig that single you've got linked in your sig, b-bird! I would almost swear I've heard the song before, too - is it getting any airplay yet? Reminds me of some old R.E.M. song I can't quite place...

8. Hey Covertburro -

Waiting for the right opportunity is tough. :meh: Hang in there, bud.

You did the right thing by not accepting, providing that this band was going to gig on a regular basis. Driving that distance for bandpractice and gigs repeatedly would get really old really fast, I promise you. Especially with the gas prices the way they are....

Good luck and may good gigs find you all very soon.
    :)

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks! I'm guessing you're talking about "Come Around". (There are two other songs in my sig and the rest of the CD is available online at the website.)

Not that I know of. It would be cool if it did, but I'm not certain. At any rate, I've read that a person has to hear a song on the radio ten times before they want to go out and buy the record, so we'll have more luck getting it sold at gigs.

I like to think of "Come Around" as a distant relative of the Pretenders' Back in the Chain Gang, but that's just me.

Thanks for listening!

10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, but I've been told that I'm kind of an ******e.

:D :D ;)

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Secretdonkey- move to NY and you can take over my gig. Modern/classic rock and a bit of metal. Great guitarists, drummer and singer. Mature, no egos. Ive simply got too many irons in the fire and cant give 100% to the band at this point.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hee - thanks, Mike! I was (jokingly) trying to give my gig away in another thread awhile back. A couple of guys seemed interested, but the commute was always the dealbreaker. ;)

Actually, I could handle living in NY - NYC or state, for that matter - anywhere but here. We've got a great quality of life, but the wife and I don't want to spend our whole lives in the south, either. Tough getting a suitable day gig in today's economy, though - I've been shopping around with no luck.