Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

offering help to get the right Chinese Character

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by dooft11, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Dooft11 = HuiC

HTML:
    thanks Jace bass!. what you trying to say is a japanese greeting, hey we chinese-cantonese(which is a certain area within the great China land) " LEE-Ho"

Anyway thanks alot
    Actually Jace man, you did reminded me i came across some folks has the chinese character inlayed in to their bass ( those bass are cool!!)

trying to be a contributing member here in TB, i will welcome any enquiry on Chinese Character or i can help to pdf, jpeg, or even eps ( all those are computer format which the lazer cutter used by luither can read) those correct chinese character
    of course as a Christian of Love and Peace, i may refuse to do those offensive one...

Hope i can help out

Ag

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Wrong forum. Moved.

3. nice!!! my mom has been studying chinese brushwork for over 30 years.. she has been teaching and has had her own studio for over 16 years. she has studied in Huangzhou (?sp?, you got me...) numerous times and i can assist as well.. good to have a quick link to someone over "there" :p

!!!!!!

4. This is a bit off-topic, but I'm actually looking to get a nice decal of a Chinese character on my guitar. I've made decals before and all, but my real delemma is finding the right character. Every word that means something cool just doesn't fit aethstetically. Any suggestions in that would be much appreciated. It'd probably be cool to get it in a nice Chinese font, too, as seeing that most of the Chinese fonts I have are pretty plain.

5. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Yeah Chinese brush work is a great Art, and G-money mom is a great artist as well
    To geoffkhan if you are looking for some very complexed characters.. such as a mixture of those iconic symbol eg.
    we put three character which refer to 'fire' together to form a new char which mean ' damn big fire ' hahha, aint that cool? we have interesting things like that and even some of it is so complex that we only what to write it once in our life, just pm me for some idea so i can search some for you.. stay cool pal

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Perhaps you could tell me if the Japanese Kanji inlay on my bass has any meaning in Chinese, and if so, what?
    [​IMG]
    I think it means Spring (time) - "Haru" in Japanese.

thanks

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

very cool, thanks for the offer :)

8. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    That character is pronounced "chun" in Chinese and it also does meand "Spring", although "chuntian" or "chunji" would be "Spring" in modern Chinese.

9. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    This reminds me: every-time I try to type Chinese in a post here on TB it comes out as a couple of "????". Do I have to select a certain font?

10. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    Yeah Danqi
    It is spring... so nice if i can have four diff bass inlayed with spring, summer, autumn and winter, that will be cool

the ??? is the coding issues, which you have to use unicode type Chinese fonts and view it with the right coding as well.. it is troublsome....

if your window have multilanguage support, you may try to download the window chinese fonts in explorer.

11. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I changed my browser settings to simplified chineses and now it seems to work. :)

ÎÒÏ£ÍûÕâÑù¿ÉÒÔѧһµã¡£Ö»¸úÎÒµÄÖÐÎḺ̌¾Ñ§ºÜûÓÐÒâ˼¡£

12. You stole them words out of my mouth!

Eh, doesn't display for me.

Let me give a try:

你好!我要偷你的吉他, 好吗? 对不起, 我只会讲一点中文,因为我是一个美国人。

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One of the characters used in the word "Changchun" which is the name of the town where I lived for a year in Jilin province. Ironically "Changchun" means "eternal spring" in this town that gets down to 30 and 40 degrees below zero in the winter. I definitely appreciated the irony of that name. :)

brad cook

14. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    行吗?

15. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    I don't get it: when I set my browser (Safari) "text encoding" settings to "chinese" it displays the text in my first post with chinese characters. When I set them to "unicode" it displays only the text in my second post with characters.
    When I set it to "default" (the standard setting) the characters in both posts are lost, but those of everyone else still work.

Whatever, I don't want to hijack this thread.

16. dooft11

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    dear danqi, are you a mac or pc user?

17. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    mac

18. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't get it???? Why Chinese words on your bass??? Just like I don't get why NBA Stars have words that don't mean anything on their bodies...looks stupid to me :( You don't see any words on Yao MIng's body :smug:

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I lived in China I often saw Chinese people walking around wearing t-shirts that had random english words or letters on them that made no sense. I guess they just thought it was stylish or exotic becuase it was english. I saw one girl walking around who war wearing a shirt that said "boobies" real big across her chest. I'm sure this poor girl had no idea what that meant.

It's the same concept with the Americans liking Chinese characters. Also, I think there's a certain fluidity and grace to Chinese characters that is aesthetically pleasing. However, I do agree that you should know what a character means before you put it permanantly on your body.

brad cook

20. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    On that note, I've come to an epiphany. No one really knows what the characters of another language mean, hence the site www.engrish.com. I myself have many things written in chinese, japanese and other languages I don't understand. They could all say "I enjoy sexual intercourse with barnyard animals" for all I know, which gave me an idea for a new bass inlay...