Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Office of Strategic Influence

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I just bought this CD today. In case you didn't know, this is a project consisting of Jim Matheos (Fates Warning), Kevin Moore (Chroma Key), & Mike Portnoy (Dream Theatre). Me like! I'm a big fan of Chroma Key, and not such a big fan of Dream Theatre, even though I respect what they do and own one or two albums.

OSI is kind of a cross between the two. It's got that Chroma Key sort of vibe, with some impressive playing, and more experimental (dare I say, progressive?) than most prog bands. They even do a cover Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun. Cool!

Oh, yeah, the bassist is Sean Malone (Gordian Knot). He's not on every track, but he's pretty solid, and easier to hear than John Myung.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I bought the limited edition some months ago, cool album.

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Yeah, I've known about this CD for some time now... this is the first time I have found it in a store. I'm just a little slow on the uptake.

I like Kevin Moore's singing alot more than that James Labrie guy. Great singer, but can be a bit cheezy at times (ok, most times). I hear more real emotion with Kevin Moores voice than James.

4. yeah same here, i love it.

about the vocals basstri, i completely agree. kevin moore is such a powerful lyricist (just DL or read the lyrics of Space Dye Vest by DT and see what i mean).

as far as the vocals on the actual OSI cd, i think they could be a little more prominent. i dunno, to me just seems like the vocals are taking the back seat on this cd. overall still a great cd

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I love the self-titled track on it, it kicks butt.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    This is a damn good album!

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Perhaps we should talk this one up on TB as much as the Mars Volta CD...

8. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    :p

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Will you start an anti-O.S.I. thread? The force must remain in balance....

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    No, we must first talk it up enough to where it is totally unescapable on the forum, and convince unwitting souls to go out and buy it. We will let one of those unfortunate creatures who hate it start an anti-OSI thread.:p

11. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    I think the album is alright, not the greatest but still a good listen. Sean Malone is doing a perfect job as always, always plays for the best of the overall music. He was the only reason i got the album in the first place.