Official “More Cases Than Basses” Club!

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by R&B, Mar 12, 2018.

1. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

Recently, a couple of members of the Bass Hoarding Personality Disorder thread pointed out their tendency to acquire high end gig bags and cases—ahem—slightly in excess of actual need. OK, way in excess.

Do you:

—obsessively check the Amazon deals thread, the Fleabay and CL for gig bags and cases?

—haunt the TB Classifieds Accessories section hoping to find just one more?

—click “Add to Cart” before the Stupid Deal of the Day for a bass case even finishes loading?

—have a bunch of empty cases lying around “just in case”? (pun intended)

Then this is your place!! Boy, that Amazon deal on Music Area cases sure was, um, tempting...er, irresistible...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    ppiluk, DirkP and TolerancEJ like this.
  2. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Leather gig bags available under $150 all belongs to me. All the basses I play regularly, about 5 in current rotation, have a leather bag to travel in style. All also have their own hard case, of course. Many other basses in the collection also have both hard cases and gig bags.

3. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    OK then- I claim first number- or #2 since you started this mess LOL.
    Access Stage three/ five (hybrid interim offering as it's got all the must have's)
    SBMM SR5ca came with nice quality oem sleeve
    Incase Dub in the works
    Kaces II
    Fender FB620 I highly recommend- has neck support, 20mm padding all round,
    lower pin " support cup", 600 Denier polyester, front pockets and zippered
    backpack strap pocket, bumpers on both ends, etc. Good bang for the buck.
    Couple others under the bed doing the protection racket.
    Everything except the Armen came w oem hardshells.
    Forge (Anvil) flight case/ Modulus has seen couple trips.
    SKB keyboard case retrofitted for the Smith.
    Vintages w period correct G&G. "Bullet" for the MM.
    Looking hard at the iGig

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    ppiluk, TolerancEJ and R&B like this.
  4. R&B

R&B Both kinds of music: Rhythm AND Blues! Supporting Member

I did some thinking about this number thing. I’ve collected plenty of them myself. Yet, what member of this club could ever be satisfied with a particular number? They will always want “one more!” Plus, I’m too busy looking for deals on cases to keep track of them.

My thought is that we won’t have numbers per se. however, we will have honorable mention for anyone whose case-to-bass ratio is greater than or equal to two!!

Fred312b and bassmike2010 like this.
  5. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    I know- right. That begs to initiate another thread:
    "The More Club Memberships Than Gigs Booked Per Year... Club!" followed by:
    "Wives And Girlfriends Who've Supported Our BHPD And Are They Still Around" and... and...

image.gif

Old Blastard and R&B like this.
  6. NoFiller

NoFiller Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Seems like an appropriate place to post...

ISO: Fender poodle plush tweed for a J

You read that right. Ill send you a J if you have a Fender tweed case with insides made from real Poodles.

(But really if you have an extra J tweed to part with, pm me!)

wraub, bassmike2010 and R&B like this.
  7. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    R&B and RobTheRiot like this.
  8. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I'm out, I have a fleet of basses on stands awaiting homes. We rotate a few cases as needed, mostly use bags for gigs an whatnot. A couple basses are large awkward and will require special cases.

R&B likes this.
  9. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    images089HFYDW.jpg imagesJIW0DTQM.jpg

And a gig bag with backpack straps? Guitar center closeout?

backpack.jpg

barginkov and R&B like this.
  10. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    813294779cbc22f57c96ee37fdada630.jpg

!! Oh- you meant special homes for the awkward basses- not bassist-
    sorry read it wrong. My bad.

11. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    In six string land it was easy to find empty cases. This hasn't been the "case" with basses. I once scored a stack of guitar cases at a music yard sale for $15, every guitar found a home. My buddy used to have a music store and I got quite a few there. His shop is no more so that sweet deal is over.
    My Jackson KellyBird and especially my Dean Hollywood Z are most difficult to find cases for. Being a deal hunter doesn't help much either.

bassmike2010 and R&B like this.
  12. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Yes, you have been fortunate, but nothing last's forever.... stop...
    I've longed at different points for a (white > faded cream) Gibson Explorer bass
    but haven't been hit in the face with a good deal on one. Seems they command a
    premium price. Given if I did, and it didn't have a case, I would, and you might
    consider one of the generic large cases that would fit all basses discussed thus far.
    Dimebags, V's etc. I mean what do the guys with humungus extended range basses
    do if the oem case isn't included. Sure ain't no gig bag happening there either.
    If you were to locate proper oem for either, I'd lose the hard-to-get approach and
    dump the cash as one day they may not be available anywhere. Like what I went
    through trying to locate a "bullet" case for the '88 Musicman Stingray/ period correct
    G&G case for the '76 Musicman Stingray and period correct (tail) case for the '78 P bass.
    And hard- to- find cases are not only that; but damn near as costly as nicer basses.
    The Modulus didn't come with a case, so I took the Forge flight case that originally came
    with the '78 Precision, contacted Anvil (makes Forge), in CA. and paid 68.00 for the case insert you see surrounding the Modulus depicted earlier. And there are more stories chasing down rat holes for
    a proper case or bag. Ken Smith SKB story for a later date. I !! fabricated the insert
    for that one. Best 'o luck.

38049711_934.jpg

R&B and BurnOut like this.
  13. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Have that exact base, the seller had the case but wouldn't come off it. He said it's just an all propose case he got from MF for cheap. The Dean I've had for several years and have yet to find anything close. I do have a nice bag for the Jackson, but it's kinda large awkward.
    Thanks for the info tips, one day we'll get there.

R&B and bassmike2010 like this.
  14. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Maybe a Gibson/ Epi Thunderbird case? Seems like Dean & Jackson customer support could help.
    Otherwise it's a worthwhile cause. If I come up w redirect I'll post. Again, Best.

R&B and BurnOut like this.
  15. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Haha! Don't need a club number... but this reminds me I need to get rid of my original '72 Fender case. I finally had to break down and buy a replacement case when the handle broke.

I've been thinking of putting it on Ebay - "Authentic vintage Fender case, genuinely road worn" - with detailed pictures of the torn tolex patched with stickers, interior fabric worn to the wood, broken latches and of course the broken handle. Wonder how much it would get bid up to? :laugh:

R&B likes this.
  16. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    You'd be surprised. Or not. List It with TalkBass. You'll get more than either eBay or Craigslist. LOL although if the base is vintage 72 and you haven't done mods that original case is worth more if you ever sold the 72. Which I obviously wouldn't. Just for Giggles put up some pictures here.

R&B likes this.
  17. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    The case is clutter I'd just as soon be rid of. The bass is also authentically road worn, heavily modified, and is my #1. It's not going anywhere except with me to gigs.

If I find any free time next weekend, I'll take pictures of the case and the bass. The bass will show up in one of the Fender Frankenstein threads. The ratty old case will get some laughs here.

R&B and bassmike2010 like this.
  18. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Huh... now ya got me curious. :::starts counting on fingers:::

I own 8 basses
    I own 5 hard cases (3 molded thermoplastic, 1 plywood, 1 Anvil ATA flight behemoth)
    I own 5 gig bags

19. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    15 Basses..... have probably 20 Tolex cases.... 4 high end double gig bags and two single leather gig bags for the 10 that are in regular rotation. Im sure I could be persuaded to buy two more double gig bags and on more single bag once I get back into regular giggin.

20. I am guilty of this but in my case, pun intended, I have a thing for the high-end cases. I have 5 basses but 6 gig bags and a hard-shelled case.

I currently have 2 cheap gig bags and 1 vintage hard-shelled case but my real addiction is the high-end bass gig bags. I currently have a Mono Vertigo Electric Bass, a Levy's Pro-Series Bass Gig Bag and a Crossrock Deluxe Rigid Hybrid Bass Bag. This means that according to my calculations I need 2 more high-end gig bags or one double case. I will likely purchase a double case.

I am a huge fan of all three high-end cases I own and each one has a different purpose. I can't see myself purchasing another hard-shelled case.

R&B likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021