1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 25, 2008.

1. aetheriac

aetheriac Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2011
    Minnenapolis
    Thanks. After looking at a few other online profiles, I think that the SR60e/SR80e is similar, but the SR225e is a bit smoother/flatter.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Does anyone have experience in using an extension cabinet with a B15S specifically?
    I'm selling off my gig rig and I may need to rely on my fliptop for a few shows until my new amp is ready.

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The ext speaker jack is connected in parallel with the 4-pin main speaker out cable. With the standard 8 ohm speaker in the B-15S cabinet, plug an 8 ohm extension cabinet to the ext speaker jack and set the impedance switch to 4 ohms.

It is important with all portaflex models to ensure that the two speakers are operating in phase. With the extension speaker connected, it should sound louder at a distance from the cab. Out of phase will sound weaker. If there is a problem, reverse the extension cabinet’s speaker connections.

The standard is normally ¼” tip on the speaker cable connects to speaker [+], sleeve connects to speaker [-]. Both speakers should move out together with a battery test.

Dr_Feelgoood212 likes this.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks...then I suppose I’ll need an 8ohm cab!!!

5. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Better models usually are smoother. Note that Grados don’t have the mid scoop that so many other headphones exhibit.

I’ve always liked Grados. The first time that I tried them was in a local McIntosh shop. They were the highest end electrostatic model. It was an experience that I’ll never forget.

aetheriac likes this.
  6. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I’d check what is currently in the B-15s main cab just to make sure.

It’s best to match the external speaker with one with the same impedance.

7. blastoff

blastoff Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Oaktown
    man ive got a b15s cab id sell ya but i guess you’re in Pennsylvania. it’d cost about as much to ship as id sell it to you for. look around for one. they seem to always pop up in and around New Jersey for some reason ;-) i guess theyre so heavy, a lot of them never made it very far.
    two of these cabs together sound enormous

ZuluFunk likes this.
  8. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    i have 2 S's and in one is the CTS speaker and the other had the altec. both are 8 ohms and believe both are stock. and together they do sound big. they do pop up on ebay once inwhile. about 8 months ago i found a custom built 15s cab changed to hold a 18" peavey speaker was under 250 shipped.

9. iomamo

iomamo

Aug 16, 2012
    Wales
    One week later and I'm thoroughly pleased with the PF-20T. It's the first time I've owned a tube amp and I'm enjoying the learning curve. It's stating the obvious on here, but having a gain knob that actually shapes tone is a lot of fun.

Considering I was looking at preamp pedals initially (which always claim to impart a "tube-like" sound), I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    JimmyM and Briton like this.
  10. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    If it's out of phase, I would suggest the opposite and swap the leads in the B15s' cab. That way, any ext cab will be in phase. Otherwise, you'd need a special speaker cable to switch phase, or have a cab that will be out of phase to any other 'normal' cab.

macmanlou likes this.
  11. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Either way will work but the connections on external cabs can vary.

Some speakers are even labelled wrong. Assuming labels are correct, you want [+] going to [+] and [-] going to [-].

I always do a battery test on each speaker. If connected to a transformer secondary, the speaker has to be disconnected first.

macmanlou likes this.
  12. So, what does it take to join this club?

As described over in Thunderbird club ( Thunderbird Club ) I picked up a Traynor YBX1510 and an Ampeg PF-350.

upload_2018-9-14_22-51-56-.

JimmyM, macmanlou and beans-on-toast like this.
  13. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I like the bass. The matching white strap is a nice touch.

How does the amp sound with the Traynor cab?

14. LOUD!

Backstory - I was wandering my local L&M (as I often do) and saw a used Traynor 1510. When I checked the price, it was C$200. It looked good, so I asked about it's history. 12 years old, one owner, priced that way because it is the appropriate fraction of what it cost new at the time. It looks like it sat in someone's basement. So, I put a deposit on it to come back when I had room in the car and time to get it moved around the house.

With the cab bought, I needed a head. I started auditioning heads. My yoot oob research told me that the head I really wanted was a PF-50T, but they are a bit spendy for what amounts to an impulse purchase. I tried the PF-20, but I couldn't get a good grind out of it; I'm told that the two amps are voiced differently. The Fender Rumble head had was OK, but the drive tone wasn't for me (it sounded fizzy). I also tried a Vox MV-50 AC and it was a real contender (I see nothing wrong with using a guitar head with a bass cabinet). It had a nice grind but cleaned up nicely too. In the end, the decision came down to the Portaflex and a Markbass Little Marcus. Both sounded great and the decision was too close to call. In the end, the Ampeg won because it was immediately available whereas the Markbass would have to be ordered in.

I have spent the last week or so getting everything dialed in so that I can get a nice growl out of it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    beans-on-toast and macmanlou like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    #667 PillO

PillO likes this.
  16. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    How about that price for the cab. You did well. The cabinet power handling is a good match for the PF-350 output.

I use guitar amps for bass as well, some work very well. The NV-50 AC is interesting with the Nutube in the preamp.

If you haven’t seen this video, you might be interested.

PillO likes this.
  17. Across the street from Mr & Mrs Satan...

Agitpropre and JimmyM like this.
  18. At that price, I couldn't pass it up. I mentioned it to my music teacher; he said that if he had seen it, he would have bought it on the spot then figured out what to do with it later.

L&M have the Marshall Origin 50 for a good price (my only justification being "Lemmy") I thought about that, but it only goes to 8 Ohms, so I couldn't with that cab. The Orange Terror amps look interesting too, but again 8 Ohms.

I did like the MV-50 AC. I may yet get one. But for now, I am very happy having dialed in the PF-350 with the right grind.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  19. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Just got a PF-350 myself—as it happens, I’m pairing it with a Traynor cab (115), too, and it sounds righteous. I’m excited to use it on some upcoming gigs!

beans-on-toast, PillO and JimmyM like this.
  20. Speaking of guitar amps, I have one of late 80’s Yamaha T100 tube amp heads that was designed by Mike Soldano when he was an employee of Yamaha Guitar’s. Its what led him to go out on his own and form his own company. I haven’t tried pushing a bass cab with it...hmmm. 100 tube watts

beans-on-toast and PillO like this.