1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Official Ampeg Portaflex Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 25, 2008.

1. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Worth a shot, you might be pleasantly surprised.;

Dadagoboi likes this.
  2. So, my next question 1 or 2 12" ??

beans-on-toast likes this.
  3. More. Always more...

Foxrock321 and Dr_Feelgoood212 like this.
  4. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I always like more speakers. The T100 amp should have an impedance switch for 4, 8, or 16 ohms. Just make sure that the impedance is set to match the cabinet(s).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Dr_Feelgoood212 likes this.
  5. Got it ! I have an Avatar 2x12 Matched up to it with 2 Celestine Vintage 30's..nice!

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Please spare me from having to look through 667 names :D Are you in the club already? If not, I will add you.

7. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    I’m not in the club, but happy to join!

JimmyM likes this.
  8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    #668 fermata

fermata likes this.
  9. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

Dec 17, 2009
    Finland
    Now we got both neighbors of the Beast!

10. noeinstein

noeinstein Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2004
    Northern California
    And using triangulation we can know where he lives?

rust_preacher likes this.
  11. bradd

bradd Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I found a B15S cab this weekend on an out of state run. I've had the head for years so this was a welcome find. I'm wondering if Ampeg made extension cabs for these, as I don't see any indicators that there was ever a head attached to the lid. It will be several days before I'll have time to get the head out and examine how it attaches.

Anyone seen a B15S extendion cab? 20181002_135606.

Attached Files:

12. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    SCORE that is a lucky find for sure..

13. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I believe that they made extension cabs available for every cab if an order was placed for one. Back then life was a lot simpler, doing business was easy.

It wasn't unusual for people at the top to take phone calls. I used to write letters and would receive replies from Leo Fender and Jim Marshall.

bradd and Dr_Feelgoood212 like this.
  14. bradd

bradd Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    It must have been ordered for a different head, judging by the foot cups.

Maybe I'll just make a lid that I can attach the head to, or maybe I'll keep the head in its current homemade box.

JoeWPgh likes this.
  15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    I made a spare lid for my B-15. It allows me to use the head remotely. It also is good if I want to use the amp with another head. It makes sense to have one. That could explain your foot cups.

If you don't want to build a lid, contact Mark at Vintage Blue.

JoeWPgh likes this.
  16. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I think it needs a new lid. The head mounts with "shock mounts", and it looks like the recessed cups would interfere with those. Maybe, maybe not. You'll have to set your amp tray on the lid to see if the cup's recess' line up with the mounting holes on the tray. If they do line up, you're probably good to go. But, as Beans said, it's nice to have a loose lid to use it as a cabinet for other amps.

bradd likes this.
  17. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    shock mounts on the 15S are usually the source of vibrations as that head is very heavy.. i would love to make a headbox for my 15S and either make it same size as lid or attached to a lid sized piece so i can bolt down at gigs but carry separate. another project i will not get to while work is in my life..

JoeWPgh likes this.
  18. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    The B15s took the 'Porta' out of "Portaflex". I wouldn't dream of carrying mine up or down 2 flights of stairs as a single unit. GREAT amp, not very 'porta' :)

funkytoe, jumbodbassman and bradd like this.
  19. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    PF50-T tube replacement question:

Is there a consensus of which is the best new production tubes available for the PF50-T? And also, which supplier are people most happy with?

Thanks

20. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    Does anyone have any info about the B12n cab? Dimensions, etc. I have a loose B15 head without a cab, and thought a 12 would be a good addition. I know I could buy one at Fliptops. But I have the time and more than enough tools to accomplish it.